• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One Person Hard top remove

BIGED

Guru ????
I got mine off by myself.

2x4's and four straps at the corners. Just tightened them a little at a time until it was all the way up.

THIS IS THE SAME SETUP I HAD . HAD TO TAKE OUT THE REAR 2X4 AND STRAP THE CORNERS BECAUSE WHEN I WENT WITH THE FAMILY CAGE COULDNT GET THE 2X4 THRU

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i am 5'8" 150 lbs and i used to turtle walk my 79 top off that was a killer, my dad said thats how he did it and if i wanted the top off thats how i was going to do it

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Come on 73AnneBoleyn and BG, we is inderpentant types, all braun and no brains...don't wanna ask no neighbor to help!

Stock68

If you get some long 4x4's you can keyhole them in the bucket (I do it all the time, just tilt the bucket all the way back and jam the 4x4's against the top lip) and use it like an extended fork lift. I'll get some pics next time I do it, works great!

Yeah, I actually have (4) holes in the bottom of the bucket that I could bolt the 4x4's to. Just need to set it up. Maybe by the fall?

As for neighbor helping- I live on acreage in the country. We all pretty much keep to ourselves and I like it that way. I don't want to "owe" them or even really have them around my place.

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
One man top replacement and said goodbye!

I put mine on by myself yesterday when I sold it. It was a real B*t*h. I also used ladders, a garbage can, an ice chest and a large bucket. 2 hours later it was snug and rolled away with a new owner. I will miss it, but with gas prices what they are, I was not using it as much as anticipated. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks to all you guys who helped me along on my mechanic work.

socalrick

Loc.
Tionesta
so i can't help but wonder... don't y'all know anyone, a neighbor maybe, who would come over and help get it off? ?:?

few of mine speak enough english and pretty much are too drunk by the time I do this kind of stuff. I always enjoy the five guys across the street watching me do this because they are the same wonderuful individuals who always come to me first when they need help wrenching or tools....go figure

oldskooldropout

Loc.
Frederick, MD
Ok guys,

Didn't want to try the Turtle walk on my new truck and I was all by myself. I went to my brothers shop and used a Mini-back hoe and a tow strap. Worked quite well!! :)