• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on a roll cage

Digger556

I still want one. How much?????

Sorry, not in a position right now to be building cages. Got to get the truck done first...

marjama said:
I totally understand...I'm sure a lot of work went into making the models! Can you talk about how you built it? Are you using a 3D scanner? Or ???

Thanks!

It's funny, the whole thing started as some simple models of the rear tub so I could design a shock mount that took advantage of the body lift.

I used SolidWorks and started with the rear tub. Looking at online prints and taking careful measurements, I slowly worked my way forward. Every so often I would find an issue with two parts not mating. Either I would have to fix a minor measurement error or correct the model because the body I was measuring would not be square in areas. I built the model like you would build a truck. Finished the whole tub first, then created fenders, tailgate, hood, windshield frame and doors. I spend a month alone on the front fenders and grill. I had no idea of all the little details until I was forced to stare at it.

The soft top was fun. I built the frame first and then using 5 guide lines, I swept a surface over the frame and thickened it to perfectly mimic how the soft top lays on the truck. After that came axles and parts of the suspension. I'm probably 300-400 hrs into it now and still need to fill out the interior, drivetrain and front suspension. I'm using the model to design a front bumper now.