• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

opinions on fuel vent canister - also pics/suggestions welcome

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I decided to vent my BC EFI tank to a canister from an 85 Mustang. I put it in the the driver, rear wheel well and I did not run the fume line to the air cleaner.

Couple questions:
Does this look like a good solution?
Would a spark in the wheel well cause an explosion? :(
Is it beggin to fill with gas and spew when very full?

Note: I will fab some clamps that hold the line in place

Also, I'd like to see how others have done it, and I'm very curious about the factory routing of the later models that had canisters.

Thanks,
Tyler

Supply from BC tank:

Around fender well:

Canister at front driver side of rear well:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Similar to the mustang style was used in 76 and 77. It mounted in the gap between the back of your passenger side front inner fender and the fire wall. Looks like that one would fit there too.

Terkish

The factory one on my '75 is mounted under the hood near the frame behind the passenger front wheel well. It wasn't hooked up when I got it so I don't know on the routing of the hoses. Someday I plan to get it all hooked up again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Definetly need to hook it up to the aircleaner to draw the fumes out. You may get fume build up in the wheel well especailly when offroading at slow speed. Not to mention raw gas from either a full tank and hot day or when on hills. My bronco will push fuel out the gas cap on hot days when the tank is to full. Not to sure how you can get around that as you cant route things much higher. Although I think on the broncos factory setup the expansion chamber that was mounted behind the drivers seat would prevent raw gas from going to the vapor canister. So you may want to add a expansion canister then plumb in the vaopr canister.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, FYI, that's in a real hazard prone area, the wheel well, one rock and bam.

One other reason they are "always" in the engine compartment, closer to intake system for purge, and, the heat of the engine dries the container out every driving cycle.

Lastly, those EFI style EVAP tanks are not designed to stop fuel or condense fuel, they are made to hold vapor. So, having it a or a little below fuel tank level could be an issue if fuel get in there.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
You all are confirming my fears! So how have people properly vented the tank when converting to EFI?

I like the idea of a tank to contain the liquid. Seems the inlet should be low on it so the raw fuel can be sucked back to the tank as it empties, and the outlet high so the fumes go to the charcoal canister. Sounds like I need to find some kind of mini tank now.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Tyler

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of people dont even bother to add all that stuff. Venting is done by the fuel filler cap. Pressure build up in the tank is not a issue. But if it developes a vacuum they you will have issues. The "vented" caps allow air into the tank not out.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Yea, I think the EFI can handle the pressure, but all the return fuel fumes generated add a lot of pressure to the tank that needs to go somewhere. If you don't vent it, it will spew out the cap. Either closed with enough pressure, or when you open it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hardly anyone I know has any of that stuff installed with no isssues. If your getting a lot of return line fumes then its possible your return line is to close to a exhuast component.

slim811

Contributor
ebay: 1966-1977 Early Ford Bronco OEM charcoal filter.

I think the answers gonna be junk yards. :(

$29 + 10 shipping. On ebay now! Not sure if that is what you are looking for? Sorry I have not figured out how to post the link on this site. ?:?

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Hardly anyone I know has any of that stuff installed with no isssues. If your getting a lot of return line fumes then its possible your return line is to close to a exhuast component.

Broncnaz,
I don't actually have my system going yet, and was asking opinions. Of which I value yours, and all the other comments too.

I can say from all my all old vehicles that were/are non vented it was/is not uncommon during our cold to hot day changes for any of them to spew serious amounts of gas. First off I'd like to avoid that problem. Second, it is my understandings it is more of a problem with EFI. The simple solution is don't fill the tank all the way. :)

In a attempt to not have the gas cap spew fuel or the garage smell of it, I'm going to attempt some system similar to factory. My plan at this point is run the vent line to the engine compartment up high, say on the driver fender. First connect to the bottom of an expansion tank, then from the top of it to the CC, and finally from the CC to the air cleaner.

That all said, I'm anxious to fire this thing up so in the mean time I'm not going to fill it all the way, and will move the CC to the engine compartment to get it up higher and away from the fender well.

I'll be sure to follow up with what I end up doing.

Tyler