• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on Ignition for EFI 427W

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Wow, similar to my 351W but I went with 185 heads.. I was going to go with a MSD Pro Billet with Ford guts, their cap and wires and Autolite XP104's. Probably a blaster coil - who knows though, everyone seems to like a specific brand...

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I presume you're starting with a 351 roller block?

I like the Ford Racing numbered wires. It's very easy to get the right plug wire into the right location and easy to spot it if it's not.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd stick with pretty much all the stock stuff really your only paying for a name with the mallory junk. The ford racing wires are some of the best I've ever run and tend to be cheaper than others

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Cool...ordered up a set of wires.

From what I've read on this forum...Mallory is highly preferred over MSD etc.....are you saying the coil and dizzy are also crap? Thanks.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I noticed on mine that the rotor needed to be seated properly or it would actually spin. It looked all the way down but it wasn't. I also nstalled a stock tfi modual on it. It's working fine now. I don't think the 351 tfi palys well with the 302 harness. If I was doing it again I'd probably save the money and go with stock dizzy. It looks nice but I don't think it does anything the stock unit won't do.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I don't think the 351 tfi palys well with the 302 harness. If I was doing it again I'd probably save the money and go with stock dizzy. It looks nice but I don't think it does anything the stock unit won't do.

My MSD Pro Billet has been working perfectly with my 89' GT harness, will even fire up with a rolling clutch drop.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
read the specs on the parts you listed really no eye opening stuff there your just spending money on a name they are basically stock replacement parts. While I'm sure mallory has improved some at least it doesnt have the unilite name they burnt there bridge with me a long time ago. Aftermarket ignitions are really no better than stock and when it comes down to it stock is all that is needed unless your adding a turbo supercharger or running very high compression. And in the case of EFI engines your really not getting anything from a aftermarket dizzy as your computer controls everything.
But hey its your money and engine run what you want.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
My MSD Pro Billet has been working perfectly with my 89' GT harness, will even fire up with a rolling clutch drop.

I want to run the MSD stuff but read so many bad reviews. It's great to hear a good one. Which coil are you using?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Quite frankly the stock Ford distributor and coil are very good, in fact if you look at the spec's they are often times rated better than the aftermarket stuff.

MSD and Mallory in my opinion belong on race cars that have a trailer 1/4 mile away, it's not a matter of 'if' they will fail, they WILL fail.... The Ford stuff does too, but you can buy plug wires at any autoparts house in any small town at 5:00 PM on a Sunday night, try that with your Mallory or MSD dizzy that requires special plug ends.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Quite frankly the stock Ford distributor and coil are very good, in fact if you look at the spec's they are often times rated better than the aftermarket stuff.

MSD and Mallory in my opinion belong on race cars that have a trailer 1/4 mile away, it's not a matter of 'if' they will fail, they WILL fail.... The Ford stuff does too, but you can buy plug wires at any autoparts house in any small town at 5:00 PM on a Sunday night, try that with your Mallory or MSD dizzy that requires special plug ends.

Agreed. Factory stuff has more than enough spark energy to power a stroker motor. Most aftermarket bolt on ignition products are just fluff and good marketing. Factory EFI stuff is pretty good for reliability as I've been running my EFI 351 Flatty for 3 years with no problems, and my EFI 5.0 Toyota for over a year with no ignition issues.

I would buy a wireset, distributor, rotor and cap for a '94 351W and be done with it. Since the ECU controls spark advance, there is no need for a performance distributor.

FYI that's a pretty small camshaft for your HP guesses. I'd put that in the low to mid 400's for HP and 500 for torque. Are you running a custom tune on your A9L?

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO

Attachments

• rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 40
  • lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 43

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Its looking really good. You do know you'll need to modify that ECU to run those bigger injectors and MAF, right? Lots of options out there. I would not go with a chip. You want flexibility to make adjustments. You will also need a wideband O2 sensor to assist with the tune.