• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on replacing Oil Pan

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This motor was in when I bought this Bronco, no idea what it came out of and has what I don't think is an "Early Bronco" pan (correct me if I'm wrong). However it does not interfere with anything and it's been twisted up pretty good and bounced around. As you can see from the pics the rear main is pouring, which I think was escalated by my son-in-law overfilling with oil. I had 7 qts of oil and a filter, had bought extra. When I asked about the extra oil he said there wasn't any, that it took all 7 to fill it up....oh well, that explains a few things. I'm thinking 5 qts maybe 6 at most for that pan. Anyway, need to replace the rear main seal, should I replace this pan even though it seems to work fine with the way this rig is setup?

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 67

rmk57

I would pound the dents out of it and keep it. Not sure what the aftermarket ones are like but the oem ford pans are pretty durable.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, just want to mention that the old pan gasket has 4 parts, and the rear main seal is integrated into the rear bearing cap.
I'm not sure what is leaking on your Bronco. I'm not sure that 1 or 2 extra quarts caused a leak. To get 1 quart out just change the oil filter. Then check the oil level.
I would probably not replace an oil pan unless it had a rust hole or other serious damage.
I would snug up the pan bolts before anything else. I can't tell you how many times that stopped or slowed down oil leaks.
Good luck

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wasn’t very clear with my post, sorry. My concern is whether this was the correct pan for an early Bronco, ive since determined it is.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I would leave the pan alone. As suggested, get the one piece seal. The only other thing you could do to improve things is using "Oil Pan Reinforcement Rails". I used a set off of an 5.0 explorer on my Bronco 302 pan.