• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions which extended radius arms work best

stus70brc

Contributor
Opinions which extended radius arms work best for all around use,Jeff's Superflex arms ,Wild Horses Extreme arms, Duff's arms,BC Bronco's,Toms arms. Looking for good flex off road,good on the street(not like having no shocks) ride.

partsflyin

I recently installed my Duff arms and couldn't be more happy! Awesome flex, and much improved road manners over my old custom arms.
Great product.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
From what I have seen, Cage/Duff Arms are awesome for flex and I have not heard any complaints about poor ride/handling. I have not heard many head to head comparisons of them against the WH/BroncoBob style. The WH style look to perform pretty nicely too. I am currently trying to decide whether to spend the $400 for the WH style or jump up to over $700 for the Cage/Duff style. Any strong arguments pro/con would be appreciated as I know there are more guys like me out there trying to decide...

BAMA

Loc.
PALM DESERT
I recently installed my Duff arms and couldn't be more happy! Awesome flex, and much improved road manners over my old custom arms.
Great product.

I'm getting my Duff arms next wk....do you have the extreme hoops and if so, the small eyelet on the arms, is that for both shocks if running dual shocks?

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I went with the JBG. I liked the fact that they were bolt on. My welding skills are improving but I didn't want to risk loosing an arm on the highway. Bronco has not moved since I put them on so I don't know how they handle.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
A couple years ago there were issues with welds failing on the WH arms. They probably have fixed that problem by now.
You should see if Lars still has any of the arms he had made. His are only about 6" longer than stock, which he felt (and has shown on a ramp) is more than enough for offroad and onroad performance.
Don't forget the extensions that you can add on to stock arms. StoneCrusher and Bent&Twisted sell them.

partsflyin

I'm getting my Duff arms next wk....do you have the extreme hoops and if so, the small eyelet on the arms, is that for both shocks if running dual shocks?

No on the Extreme hoops(I used the f-350 style uppers). But I do know that yes the small eyelet on the arms is for both shocks when using the hoops.

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
I have the Cage long arms and have been very happy with them both on and off road. Sinse they are the only long arms I've run on the Bronco I can't say how any of the others compare, only that I really like the Cage arms.

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have teh wild horses and have been very happy with them. They definitly helped the on road handling and offroad flex.

G

Brawnko

Loc.
Mechanicsville
One of the things I like the most of the Cage/Duff type arms is the offset that gives you a better turning radius!! I don't think the others have that.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
The Duffs and Cage arms were designed by the same guy (I believe)--Jim Cole. I ordered Duffs arms mostly because I am an East Coaster and therefore the shipping was less. I received my arms today and I can say they are probably triple the weight of the stock arms. These things are BEEFY. I think the bend others have mentioned for turning with bigger tires is overrated as I can turn around on 25' of asphalt with my stock arms and 35" tires. I think if you turn too sharp and apply power in 4wd you run a higher risk of breaking an axle u-joint and more anyway. I know someone running the WH arms and they are very happy with them--greatly improved road manners, which is really what I was after. For Florida mud, the stock arms are fine for up to 5.5" of lift, but the problem is you cannot regain your caster for good roadway handling with the stock arms. If it's a trailered trail rig--then don't matter. I also liked the Duffs/Cage arms because of the heim joint on the frame end, rather than a threaded stud. I know this will make installation much easier as I won't have to pull and fight with the axle in my carport. Once the arm is bolted on I can just push the heim up to the frame bracket and push the bolt through (I'm sure it'll be that easy, Ha!). Anyway, bottom line is this is an expensive hobby unless you are a fabricator with decent welding skills and a good junk yard not too far away. I think you could build a great and fun trail rig for $5K if you had that situation, but it might not be street legal. That being said, these Broncos can do a hell of a lot with a mild lift a locker and skillful driving. If I did another Bronco for trail riding in Florida, I would stick with 2.5" lift, cut the fenders to the body line to fit the tire I wanted and make sure everything is sealed up well. I would have more fun and less working on it.

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
Check around on the $ for Cage, my buddy was quoted $630 or $640 not to long ago. I can see if the guy still has them at that price.

OP
OP
stus70brc

stus70brc

Contributor
Well thanks for the input. It seems everybody like the helm's over the stud/rubber. How well are the helm's holding up?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I too am interested in longer arms when I swap in my new D44. I’m looking for good all around on and off road performance. Another good question that goes along with the arms is what spring are you running? I have very old school stiff front springs from back in the early 80s and had planned on replacing them too. I have heard that to soft of a front spring combined with the longer arms would cause handling issues. So, with your extended arms, what springs (and should we look at shocks too) are you running?

Thanks!

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
If you are really looking at the cage arms, call them up ask for Jim and tell him you want the "Funky Monkey discount", I am not joking at all!

Shawn