• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Options for linking column to auto tranny?

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I'm working on a bunch of details now on my project. And it's one thing after another. :eek:

I will soon be working on the linkage from the steering column to the tranny. I'm using a automatic tilt steering column out of a 79 bronco. The tranny is a 4R70W. I have a 2" body lift. The selecter bracket on the 4R70W meant for a cable connection.

Any ideas on the best way to tackle this? I was thinking about the full size bronco linkage might work. Also, the salvage guy said I couldn't just swap the slector bracket from a C6 or early AOD since you would have to take the tranny apart??? ?:? I guess I could drill the one that I have out to make it work.

Thoughts? Thanks.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I may be wrong about this but you have a 3 speed colomn shift and a 4 speed trans.... I don't think it will work properly unless you get the right column shift lever locking plate and indicator assemblies (if even that would do it)

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
broncow72 said:
I may be wrong about this but you have a 3 speed colomn shift and a 4 speed trans.... I don't think it will work properly unless you get the right column shift lever locking plate and indicator assemblies (if even that would do it)

It might not, I haven't tried it yet. :eek:

But here was my thinking. You have P-R-N-D-2-1 on the 79 column. The 4R70W has P-R-N-OD-2-1 with overdrive (OD) being the same as D. Only you can select between OD and D with a button that I need to place somewhere in the cab. Normally, this is on the floor shifter.

I sure hope it works like this, or else I'm going to have to figure something else out :-[

What are you calling a locking plate. Is this something in the column that let's it move the right increments for the tranny???

thanks.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
RnrdTheFox said:
It might not, I haven't tried it yet. :eek:

But here was my thinking. You have P-R-N-D-2-1 on the 79 column. The 4R70W has P-R-N-OD-2-1 with overdrive (OD) being the same as D. Only you can select between OD and D with a button that I need to place somewhere in the cab. Normally, this is on the floor shifter.

I sure hope it works like this, or else I'm going to have to figure something else out :-[

What are you calling a locking plate. Is this something in the column that let's it move the right increments for the tranny???

thanks.
You brought up a good point with the O/D in the D position. I didn't think of that. Yes, the locking plate is what holds the shift lever in place.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Went with the full size bronco shift linkage

Well, I decided to try the linkage from a full size bronco. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $10 and some time. I thought I would snap some pics of what I have mocked up incase someone else wants to go down this path.

In the pics, you can see that the original full size bronco linkage was too wide, but it did have some nice benifits after it was cut down. Both sides of the bracket lined up with a hole in the tranny and easy placement on the frame for mounting. I fab'ed a bracked (out of the old master brake lines bracket that I'm not using) for additional support to the tranny using an existing holes in the shift linkage and tranny. I had to cut the linkage rod down that attaches to the range selector. And finally, I punched out the cable connector and drilled the hole out 1/2" on the 4R70W selector to accept the full size bronco linkage.

From what I can tell so far, it looks like it's going to work. ;D I don't have the body on the frame right now and so I'm kinda guessing at the location of the steering column and sifter, but it's very close. I'll post the final verdict when I get the body on in about a month.

Attachments

• Big bronco linkage parts.jpg
    Big bronco linkage parts.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Mock up 1 view 2.jpg
    Mock up 1 view 2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Mock up 2.jpg
    Mock up 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Mock up 3.jpg
    Mock up 3.jpg