• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ordered new driveshafts, got Neapco joints, should I run em?

OsideDave

Ordered 2 new driveshafts (requested Spicers) from girlfriends uncle back east (he owns a driveline and balancing shop) and the shafts arrived w/ Neapco joints part # 0153HD, Spicer 5-153X. I've always run spicers and I am concerned about the strength of these Neapco joints. Got a great deal on the 2 driveshafts so I can't complain plus we are planning a trip back to see girlfriends family this summer so I don't want to piss anyone off. Should I run em, change em out myself, or ask uncle to change em out?

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

Just threw the shafts in and they fit fine so i think will run em. looking at my 2 year old shaft, I think that shop installed neapcos too.

JIMJEO

Loc.
CORNELL, MI
NEAPCO (New England Auto Products Co) is Carquest's u-joint line, sold them for years when I was there.They held up almost as well as my Spicers. Only issue I had was front D44 axle joints seemed a bit wider so it was harder to get the snap rings in.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

Yeah, I am considering O'side driveline to reset pinion angle (if needed) and I have 2 really old shafts that I may have them resize to my new length (added StaK) for spares on the trail. Who do you think is better, Vista Driveline or Oceanside Driveline?

We should meet up before you move to Hawaii.

if you don't like the joints Oceanside drive line does good work.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
definitely oside driveline, they made my shafts that have taken a real beating like a champ, and you should see my pinion angle! yeah we should meet up, I might be at bills soon helping him out and finishing my tunnel.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I don't think I'd make a big deal about the joints, although I would not run the neapo's on mine. They break way to easy IMO. I have broken them just by holding the brake. Run them and keep a eye on them, Buy spicer replacements and be ready. Good to have the spares anyway.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

I don't think I'd make a big deal about the joints, although I would not run the neapo's on mine. They break way to easy IMO. I have broken them just by holding the brake. Run them and keep a eye on them, Buy spicer replacements and be ready. Good to have the spares anyway.

I did ask for a spare, only its a Neapco %)

I broke a Pepboys front axle ujoint in my driveway just steeping on the gas hard. Can't remember the brand.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

definitely oside driveline, they made my shafts that have taken a real beating like a champ, and you should see my pinion angle! yeah we should meet up, I might be at bills soon helping him out and finishing my tunnel.

Let me know when you head to Bills, maybe I'll tag along. Sat is my grandpas b-day so no go then but sun may work.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I am awaiting his pm to tell me when we are putting the frame up under his confused bronco.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I had good luck with vista on the kids truck, they were open when oceanside was not so they hooked me up just fine. I did not get a chance to beat on it before it was gone so I can not say how they held up.

Barnes fabrication in san marcos can also reset your pinion angle and he does gears as well.

I have done nothing the other life keeps getting in the way of the garage. I need to get the mock up tank done so I can send it off to be built.

fordtrucksrule

osidedave i got my stak 3 speed in and drive lines shorthes my rear is 27.5 inches and uses spicer and my front drive shaft is 28.5 inches long ans it uses century u joints. were gonna have to meet up some day again. youre gonna like how i set my shifters up i used the nwf cable shifters. what did u use

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

I had good luck with vista on the kids truck, they were open when oceanside was not so they hooked me up just fine. I did not get a chance to beat on it before it was gone so I can not say how they held up.

Barnes fabrication in san marcos can also reset your pinion angle and he does gears as well.

I have done nothing the other life keeps getting in the way of the garage. I need to get the mock up tank done so I can send it off to be built.

Thanks for shop info Bill. Let me know if you need some help w/ the low rider.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I've trashed Neapco's brute force joint much easier than I ever did the spicer solids. At one point, I had one in each side on a full size D44 axle on my 78 beater bronc (4" lift, 36 swamps, welded front, stock shafts). The spicer held up when the brute force exploded.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

osidedave i got my stak 3 speed in and drive lines shorthes my rear is 27.5 inches and uses spicer and my front drive shaft is 28.5 inches long ans it uses century u joints. were gonna have to meet up some day again. youre gonna like how i set my shifters up i used the nwf cable shifters. what did u use

I kicked down for NWF's too. Still have not cut hole in tunnel yet to mount them but I will likely do that soon. Got the case out now to torque mount ring (not torqued from factory) and cleanup fuel lines and wiring. Hopefully I will have this thing going in a month or so, maybe in time for the TDS run.

fordtrucksrule

well i will hopefully be out there alls i got to do is move my fuel pump and figure out how i am going to get my cage arms installed i may just remove the t case a lil bit and let it down and get the brackets on then my front end and drivetrain is done and complete the only other thing is axles in the 44 thats it and the rear i want to eventually get rid of the inboard setup and go with the cage rear shock mounts but only run 1 shock per corner