• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original '79 Bronco Manual Tilt Column

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an original MANUAL tilt column off a '79 Bronco. I bought it from a guy that was the original owner of the truck. It is in really decent shape. Does anyone have any idea what it is worth? I have heard that it is a rare item, and that it might be worth something. Any thoughts anyone?

Marty

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
79 manual tilt column

I have one in the the classified, no wait I converted an auto column to a manual. Yes they are rare but I don't know that it's going to get you a fantastic price either.

My price for the one I am selling is 150 shipped. I would think you can sell it for slightly more 175? depending on condition. You can buy new manual tilt columns for 315 or so from several vendors FYI.

Ben

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I have one. Not that rare. A lot of stickshift F-100-250 and Broncos came with them. I paid $75 complete with steering wheel and rag joint.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw your column in the parts forum. That's what made me think of it. I know I read a few times that some guys pay alot of money for them. I thought the same thing...wht not buy brand new then? I thought maybe the stock ones were built better or something?

Indybronco

Loc.
Twentynine Palms, CA
I have two. They are somewhat uncommon (but not rare) and can normally be bought for $75-$150 and sometimes much more if someone gets crazy on Ebay.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I guess I got a deal I bought 2 at wrecking yards for 50.00 and got one off EBAY for 65.00..all of them where said to be great but each had it own problem I got one out of the 3....I sure like it in my Bronco better than the orignal ...

mjstef

Are they a direct bolt in in an EB??? Does the wiring plug in or do you have to patch it in???

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have one in the the classified, no wait I converted an auto column to a manual. Yes they are rare but I don't know that it's going to get you a fantastic price either.

My price for the one I am selling is 150 shipped. I would think you can sell it for slightly more 175? depending on condition. You can buy new manual tilt columns for 315 or so from several vendors FYI.

Ben

How did you go about converting the auto to manual tilt? What did you do where the shift lever was? Is there a new piece that can goes there without the shift lever?

I have an auto tilt column from a late 70s truck that Im not going to use the AT shifter on since i have a floor mounted auto shifter.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I gutted the column and removed all the auto peices, I then cut off the shifter nub and ground till smooth with the rest of the column and then bondoed what was left and then painted it. Looked real good and should last a really long time. I have been told that there is a mustang column sleeve that will work in place of the auto column but I have not seen one personally.
You also need to swap your bronco mounting bracket with the truck bracket and weld it on.
Heres the link where I got the idea, yet another idea I owe to ToddZ!
http://azbronco.org/tech06.htm
Bunch of other ideas there too.

If I can find a good pic after the conversion, I will post it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
mjstef, no they are not a direct bolt in as the bracket that comes on the column puts the column at the wrong distance from the driver. So you need to remove the bracket and move it to a better location to make the column fit or remove the bracket and replace it with the bracket from the bronco column. If you have the older style plug 75-77? it will probably just plug in otherwise you will need to do some rewiring. If that is the case I would find a plug end from the salvage yard and cut plenty of wire loose and then splice it into the bronco wiring. Would be easy to do as you could grab the plug when you yank the column out of the salvage junker.

Here is another good link for the steering swap, scroll down to tilt steering column section:http://www.bcbroncos.com/info.htm

Ben

OX1

Bronco Guru
They are pretty rare in the NE, maybe since most went auto?? Seen them go as high as 6-700$ on E-bay, but that is probably just the right buyer, right time and a perfect col.........

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
Wow, thats insane money. I have personally never sold one for more than 150 delivered.

Ben

If you come across any (78/79 tilt for man trans), I would love to have it for my 70 Sport. I used a std 78 man col cause I could not find a tilt/man.........