• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original Owner 1973 Bronco Frame-Off Restoration in Kansas

OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
We are not going to need the charcoal canister if we go with EFI? Wanting to use the Go Port EFI system from FiTech. Its suppose to start shipping this fall.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
We are not going to need the charcoal canister if we go with EFI? Wanting to use the Go Port EFI system from FiTech. Its suppose to start shipping this fall.

It can be hit or miss... Some people complain of a gas odor with a full tank in the garage... others have no problem.

I have Explorer EFI and have a CC on my 68. But I use a 76-77 style canister that mounts up high... In 68 there was no CC.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard! And cool to see that you're from Newton. I have friends that live there and have a lot of connections to the area - Hesston, Goessel, Moundridge, etc.

Todd Z.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's really cool, some people have cars that have been in the family for years and do nothing with them. Glad to see youre bringing her back to life!

ksbronco75

Contributor
It can be hit or miss... Some people complain of a gas odor with a full tank in the garage... others have no problem.

I have Explorer EFI and have a CC on my 68. But I use a 76-77 style canister that mounts up high... In 68 there was no CC.

You don't need the cannister. if u want cut the lines and you can put little filters on em (i.e. lawn mower fuel filters) you won't notice a difference. Ive never had an issue with a smell of gas and ive been unhooked for 4 years or more

NC_Pinz

Subscribed. I'm 'new' to the forum or at least was never active. Good luck with your restoration. I'll be following because I'll have a '75 coming my way that was purchased new by my step-father, and I drove it in high school too.

OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
The frame is pretty well stripped of stuff and ready for repairs. Disassembled much of the front axle--thanks PB Blaster. We're planning on replacing the rear axle.

Attachments

• _MG_0948.jpg
    _MG_0948.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_0955.jpg
    _MG_0955.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_0964.jpg
    _MG_0964.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_0974.jpg
    _MG_0974.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 76

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Great story! Looks like a solid Bronco. Love the color and that you'll be keeping it close to stock. All you planned upgrades will be improve the safety, performance and the ride. Only comment is you may not need disk brakes all around. The fronts are a big improvement over stock but adding rear disks is a large investment for a small incremental improvement. Not cost effective IMHO unless you would go to 35 or larger tires.

Just curious, where in CO did you go? We go to a place where lots of Kansans vacation. In fact a neighboring community is called "Little Kansas".

OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
Does anybody know what this means? This stamping is on the passenger front part of the frame rail.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
We went pretty much all over Colorado. The dads in the group would pick a different area each summer. We went to Durango and Mesa Verde one year, Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride another, Gunnison area another time. I think we may have gone to Frisco too one year. Where do all the Kansans go that you mentioned?

OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
Great story! Looks like a solid Bronco. Love the color and that you'll be keeping it close to stock. All you planned upgrades will be improve the safety, performance and the ride. Only comment is you may not need disk brakes all around. The fronts are a big improvement over stock but adding rear disks is a large investment for a small incremental improvement. Not cost effective IMHO unless you would go to 35 or larger tires.

Just curious, where in CO did you go? We go to a place where lots of Kansans vacation. In fact a neighboring community is called "Little Kansas".

Well I responded to your question...but it got lost amongst the other posts. :D Sorry about making you work to find my reply :) (I'm still trying to figure out the posting...)

Sharon

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
We went pretty much all over Colorado. The dads in the group would pick a different area each summer. We went to Durango and Mesa Verde one year, Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride another, Gunnison area another time. I think we may have gone to Frisco too one year. Where do all the Kansans go that you mentioned?

Some very nice areas. We go to a small village called Cuchara. It's at the base of the twin Spanish Peaks. Little Kansas is close to the saddle between East and West Spanish Peaks. Just off I25 between Trinidad and Walsenburg. We're at 8600 feet.

OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
Frame work

Loaded up the frame and hauled it to our shop in Wichita where Royce has a powerwasher, welder, and big air compressor.

Found a big ol' hole under the shock mount but he's got it ready to patch!

Sharon

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 97
  • _MG_1229.jpg
    _MG_1229.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 90
  • _MG_1220.jpg
    _MG_1220.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_1193.jpg
    _MG_1193.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
sharon.schmidt

sharon.schmidt

Contributor
Loc.
Newton, Kansas
A great big thank you to Alpacket (Chris) for the rotisserie frame! It was good to meet you and good luck on your Bronco project. It is looking really nice!

Royce and Sharon

Alpacket

A great big thank you to Alpacket (Chris) for the rotisserie frame! It was good to meet you and good luck on your Bronco project. It is looking really nice!

Royce and Sharon

Thank you. Really enjoyed it. Great to meet fellow hobbiests out here where the Bronco community feels a little small sometimes. Looking forward to seeing how your project comes out. Thanks for the encouragement. You were asking about seats. Here's what I've decided to go with. It's a TMI cover and foam for a 1970-73 Mustang seat. I found a few old ones on Craigslist. Good luck.
8253b65895e7e962944191f08556ecbd.jpg