• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original Windshield Safety ???

Shemofo

Hey guys first post and you guys know your stuff!! I'm in process of frame off resto '69 CB and was wanting advice on replacing the original windshield. Going to be a daily driver (no off-road) and have a daughter on the way in July. May be a dumb question but is the original wind shield "safe" in terms of an object flying thru it going down the highway at 70 mph. Any advice appreciated!!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Depends on the object and what you consider safe I guess. The fact that the windshield sits nearly 100% vertical compared to modern designs means that it's almost a for sure thing that if the object has firmness and mass, it's coming through at 70mph, plus however fast the object is traveling.

My in-laws had a piece of fire wood come through their windshield on a two lane highway in NM one year when traveling 50mph in an F350. The piece fell off of an oncoming semi hauling firewood.

Timstrk

I had a turkey come through mine at about 45. Alone in the truck, except for the turkey. 70, infant, 49 yo truck, hmmm.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it have the little decal saying it's true safety glass, laminated? Should be no different than any other car.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the original glass is much stronger and thicker than any replacement glass
But this is just me putting a newborn in a bronco is a tough one for me, because it is just not as smooth as a regular car or truck. There little heads will just be bouncing all over the place.
But congratulations brother to becoming a dad, when your daughter turns 16 give me a call cause all hell breaks loose. Haaaa

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They were built with safety glass back in the day. Glass technology really has not changed for car windows. AS1 safety glass is laminated safety glass, AS2 is tempered.

No, you are not going to get any level of additional safety by putting in new glass over the old stuff. If that is the short answer you are looking for.