• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Out of state title question

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Different states have different policies and different rules. Some are very strict about some rules, and in other states the same issue doesn't matter at all. Passenger cars are not regulated by the feds, yet. There is no consistency between states.

I've got stacks of car titles from Wyoming, South Dakota, Texas, Arizona, Washington, Nevada..... and recent Camaro that I purchased w/ a California title. I usually choose to register them in Colorado or Alaska because of low taxes, no hassle and low cost DMV registration, and easy Classic Car insurance through Hagerty.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Since we are talking here hypothetically...

You would have to transfer the 77 in entirety to this other frame with the Vin tag. The vin number has to match the one the frame, drivers door post (if there), and glovebox. Hopefully, this other frame/vin/tag has been kept registered and current all the years you have owned it. If not you might have to have a Vin verification form completed by the CHP or local PD in order to complete registration.

The former 77 frame, with the vin tag, former CO reg, and a bill of sale to you, would be needed if you ever wanted to sell it.

I can understand why the former owner would want something in writing which states you purchased the vehicle from him. Since the vehicle was never registered in CA, a form from CO would be more appropriate. But if the former owner started any CA paperwork, or if the vehicle had an aborted Smog test, the Vin may have already been entered into the CA DMV system.

FYI.. What you are purposing, on this public forum, would be considered illegal by the State...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Must have scared him off. Original post is now gone. Guessing this was a Colorado truck now in California, but not sure what the title issue is.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Must have scared him off. Original post is now gone. Guessing this was a Colorado truck now in California, but not sure what the title issue is.

A 77 missing all the smog equipment... CA frowns on that during the registration process... I have been where he is at.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I'm still here. Problem was solved. Main issue was helping the owner get what he felt was a proper release of liability. I found a Colorado form (thanks for the suggestion) and wrote up a bill of sale. It's a '76, but yes, stupid smog laws did not help. I deleted it cause I don't want to get into a philosophical debate on a public forum.