• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wireharness Install - Voltage regulator question

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Installing a new wire harness from Painless. Instructions have been great and the install has been very straight forward so far. Hit an odd scenario last night when I got to the step for wiring the voltage regulator.

The way the new harness is designed, the wires do not seem long enuf to plug the pigtail into the the firewall mounted voltage regulator. The wires are barely long enuf to allow me to relocate the regulator and mount it on the wheel well next to the starter relay and the alternator. The instruction mentions relocation of the regulator but they don’t seem very specific. No pictures either. For you guys that did a painless harness and NOT running a pertrinox, dis you encounter this?

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. The last one I did the wires were no problem for the wheel well. I'm not sure I even ran into a problem with the firewall mount, but the last one of those I did was a Centech and it's kind of made for that.

The most common mounting position for the early models (pre-'73) was actually not on the wheel well specifically, but on the vertical fender apron/inner fender just behind the battery. Sort of between the battery and the starter relay.

On another harness I did have to lengthen the wires to get it to the firewall, but that was not a big deal. I don't like adding connectors or splices unnecessarily of course, but you do what you gotta do sometimes.

Got a picture of the area and the length of the wires by any chance?

Thanks. And good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul. Talked to painless today too. They said just to move the regulator down to the inner fender well from the firewall. Shouldn’t be an issue.

Now I just need my WH rocker switches and dash knobs to deliver by Friday so that I can finish up my harness install! Lol!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
have you looked at cutting one or two tie wraps, maybe you can get enough slack that way.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
have you looked at cutting one or two tie wraps, maybe you can get enough slack that way.

Yeah, I’d looked at that. Don’t think it would free enough length up to run it to the regulator when it’s on the firewall. Painless said that relocating to inner fender/fender well is fine. I was just worried about the heat and vibration but doesn’t sound like it’s a big deal.

Thanks!

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
About a year ago Eric at Painless was going to rework the harness so it could reach either location. I'm not sure if he ever accomplished it or not. Maybe he will chime in, or you could send him a PM.