• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting a Early Bronco advice

1970 Palmer

Hi, I'm getting ready to repaint my 1970 wagon after some extensive "roll over" sheet metal repairs. I could use some Bronco experienced body man, or painter advice. Is one gallon of single stage urethane color enough to edge everything, and then shoot the inside and outside. The top and grill center will be done in Wimbledon White, and the dash and door panels will shot be semi gloss Parchment. No wheels are being painted at this time.

My order quantity is currently at 1 Gallon Carmel Bronze Poly single stage urethane, 1 Quart Wimbledon White urethane, 1 Quart of Parchment. Obviously all of the hardeners, and reducers. In addition, I plan to order 1 Gallon of epoxy primer, and 1 Gallon of high build primer.

My second question is about material costs. I have always purchased my autobody supplies from a local paint store. But I just cannot ignore the on line suppliers any longer. Does anyone have specific experience with TCP paints in San Diego, or SPI on line paints. How about Summit, or Eastwood? You all know how much work goes into a full paint job. I do not want a shoot it and , sell it type paint job. What I'm looking for is quality paint (not necessarily top name brand) that will lay down nicely, and have good UV protection because this will be a daily driver type truck that sits outside.

Your advice and experience is appreciated.

John

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go local, they are there for every other thing you need plus shaking the can. Thats how we got into this mess with China.

Vincen

Use your local shop who can answer most of your questions. I am wrapping up my 1970 Sport in Acrylic Urethane Calypso Coral. I used just over a gallon of color (4:1) to shoot all the shell and closure panels. You will likely need more to get the inside of the tub.

All told, I used the following PPG products

1 sprayable gallon of epoxy
5 sprayable quarts of 2K high build
3 sprayable quarts of sealer
5 sprayable quarts of SS color
1 sprayable gallon of CC ( not necessary but wanted to)

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have dealt with SPI and their products are top shelf and their customer support is awesome. The owner, Barry, will personally answer all your questions and their forum has a lot of info.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another vote for SPI!
I do buy local as well for color products. Better to buy a little too much. As said running out sucks and the next batch is never exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AC932

Contributor
I used Nason paint from the local carquest. Took 1/2 gallon for the exterior and doors. I imagine a full gallon would get you through the entire truck, but it certainly doesn't hurt to buy more. Can use it for touchups later if you don't use it.

dougsride

I used summit single stage for my f250. Gloss black. Looks good. It took about a gallon and a half. Thinned it with some reducer to cut back on orange peel. did 4-1-1 . For my bronco I think I may go to my local paint store and do base /clear coat.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I would get a 1 1/2 gallon of single stage. I have painted two broncos with the Nason single stage and it took a little more then a gallon and I only painted outside, inside the doors, and tailgate. Both trucks had other coatings on the floors. And it is nice to have extra. I used paint left over from the 73 I did years later to paint a steel tailgate, the one on the truck when I painted it was fiber glass and didn't hold up nice because the paint matched perfect. Also repainted the doors on my 67 a few years back. Heck I still have extra paint for my 67 and some day I will use it to touch up a few spots of trail damage. Always nice to have extra especially since you have a paint with metallic and they can be very hard to match.

papy

Contributor
since we are on the topic i am nearing my project ready for paint in my shop/garage.

i am on the fence about single stage or base/clear. Would be nice to get some opinions, pros/cons on both systems

thanks

OP
OP

1970 Palmer

since we are on the topic i am nearing my project ready for paint in my shop/garage.

i am on the fence about single stage or base/clear. Would be nice to get some opinions, pros/cons on both systems

thanks

I shot a 32 Ford High Boy roadster 10 years ago with BC/CC. It turned out very nice and held up well. I bought one gallon of (dark red) color and painted 11 body parts and a frame on both sides using only 3/4 of one gallon of color. But it took two gallons of clear to cover everything. The red waterborne gallon was $480 ten years ago with a discount. I color sanded the entire car and buffed it to a mirror finish. Any nice paint job is 90% prep.

In my view selecting a type of paint is based on how the vehicle will be used. My Hot Rod was driven everywhere when it was in bare steel. After I completed what was a $10K paint job, and it was not fun to drive any more. It was too nice to leave in the Home Depot parking lot, or drive on a gravel road. The BC/CC paint jobs would likely be best done on a Bronco that will be street driven most of the time.

OP
OP

1970 Palmer

Thank you to all that responded to my advice questions.

It really helps me make some of these choices knowing your first hand experience.

John