• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting Interior, removing dash

Synds9

Loc.
San Diego, CA
How difficult.. and how long would it take, to remove the dash up and out of the way in order to paint the firewall and whatnot in the interior? would the wiring harness need to be removed? or could it be moved enough out of the way? and could this be done in a weekend?

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
The dash really isn't in the way of too much. Unless you are going to be working on the bottom of the windshield cowl, it may not be worth all the trouble.

But if you do it, mine took a few hours to pull out, so you shouldn't have any problem doing it in a weekend. If you are going all the way, the heater will be pulled off the firewall, so your vent control cable, fan wires and defroster ducts will already be disconnected.

The wiring harnesses are your best place to start. You should have disconnects for each harness in the engine bay (at least mine did). Make sure you do and that you can pull them through the firewall. Remember the windshield wiper wires. I forgot those untill I started pulling the dash.

Mine is a column shift and the shift lever was screwed up, so I had to pull the steering column, but you should be able to just pull the shift lever and the steering wheel. If you're floor shift then it's no problem.

The speedo and the heater valve control are easy. There is a support screw in the center of the dash. Mine had a broken u-clip holding it in and that was a bugger to get to. Hopefully your po didn't hate threads as much as mine did. That's everything I can think of...

Last edited:

oakley144

pretty simple to remove the dash. takes a few hours. wiring harness can be taped up out of the way. read the tech article about removing the dash. make sure you have an off set screw driver or it will be a pain in the butt.