• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting my rig.. finally.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
First of all.. none of this progress would have been possible without this board... through it I met another bronco owner who has donated a lot of time and experience to help out... Thanks Aaron!!!

So I decided to shave the door handles and cap the door window channels since I havent had glass in the rig for over a year and dont have a top to put on it anyway. We welded in some patch panels.. applied some RAGE body filler to smooth it all out. I have rock skis and quarter covers that cover some damage that would have been a LOT of work to repair.. and since I wheel this rig, I didnt want to make it sooo nice I would be afraid to wheel it.. I am starting to think that is what will happen as it is anyway.. Aaron has been quite the perfectionist!

Enough babble.. on to the pictures!!

Here are some before:

Attachments

• _Yellow_RPassenger.jpg
    _Yellow_RPassenger.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 170
  • _Yellow_RDriver.jpg
    _Yellow_RDriver.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 151
  • _BeforeDash.jpg
    _BeforeDash.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
.. and here are some middle.. I will be covering the dash with an overlay and deleting the stock cluster in favor of autometer guages, less switches, and speakers in the dash.

We have been working on this a few hours a day after work nearly every day for 3 weeks.

Attachments

• _Primer_RPassenger.jpg
    _Primer_RPassenger.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 182
  • _Primer_RDriver.jpg
    _Primer_RDriver.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 173
  • _ShavedPassenger.jpg
    _ShavedPassenger.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 149
  • _ShavedDriver.jpg
    _ShavedDriver.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
More sanding this week and the goal is to shoot the base/clear next weekend... more pics as we make progress.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
youve led the way bro...
besides.. I couldnt keep it yellow and have wierd chicks from "peggy sue's" confuse me for Mr. B.S. :)

blackjack

Loc.
San Diego
paint

Matt

Way to much work. I will be changing my paint color again as well but to a Dark green color used on militry vehicles and again will be using the rattle can. This time it's going to be all one color and a flat paint. My first paint job I hatted the colors I pick the second time I was happier but it doesn't help to roll the dam thing and have horrilble sheet metal now.

Kevin is right about you stressing over scratching the paint now but you look like you are already really far into this work.
Good luck.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Waylon,
I hear ya on the rattle can.. I really thought about going that route.. then I also thought about going with a earl scheib paint job.. but for about the same price as the quickie paint, I am getting a real quality 2stage paint job.. I am thinking I will throw on some extra clear to help with the desert pinstripes!

Besides, I had some rust in the seams I needed to take care of, and some filler on the shaved doors to take care of.. neither of which should be done with rattle can.

You should consider spraying yours with a paint gun.. it will go SO much faster than rattle can and cover more evenly... just a thought.

LA Kevin

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
The one thing I learned after painting mine, and as you've already experienced with your yellow, is do something that's different than everyone else's you see. Just after taking mine into the shop to get painted I saw another orange one in our small town, and now anytime the bronco topic comes up with someone in town, they ask which orange one is mine. I actually wish I would have down something like Chuck's American Flag EB that was on the cover of BD a while back.

mgreen11

Loc.
San Marcos, CA
She's gonna look sweet Matt...

I did the Earl Scheib job a couple of years ago, but then if you get close you can see the bondo - I cared about scratches for a few months, but now I don't worry about the paint job...just the pucker factor.

We still need to get you over to the Lawrence Welk mountains - how long until that paint cures and you can hit the trail?

Mike

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I should be good to go after October... I need to post up about the shelter island shindig here soon too.. look for the post soon.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
color is done and the clear is going on now... then in a day or two, ill roll it out and start putting it back together.. rock skis, quarter covers, roll cage (after the interior get vortex'ed), guages, dash, lights and bezels, door panels and such... crap.. it felt like I was almost there till I listed it all off... ill take some pics when i roll her out in a couple days... I gotta get this done before the shelter island shindig.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Color applied!

Ok.. so here are some with the color applied.. I still need to get the interior vortexed and then get the cage/seats etc installed.. still need to finish up the dash.. whew.. still a lot to do.. but man.. she looks like a totally different rig!!

Attachments

• red_pFront2.jpg
    red_pFront2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 154
  • red_pFront.jpg
    red_pFront.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 135
  • _red_above.jpg
    _red_above.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 181

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
That sure is purrdy...You just need to follow my line and get some of that California Pin stripping.

Scott
ABCO