• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting New Protofab Rear Bumper-What color and type of paint???

71 BRNCO

I really could use some advice. My new protofab RockSolid bumper has arrived. So far I have done a mock up install. but it has come time to make it look good, painting. Normally, I would get it powdercoated gloss black to match my rollcage and other interior components, but I cannot afford to do that (new house). So I have to decide how to coat it. My option include but are not limited to spraying with POR15 and then topcoating or using automotive paint. Either single stage or base clear.

finally, does everything think I should go black?? For some reason I am considering painting the whole thing body color (candyapple red). Please help me out.

What is the proper prep to paint. I have a decent ability to paint, but last time I tried to spray POR15 it clogged my gun even with thinning. Can I get some advice.

Random pictures to help with color etc.

Attachments

• Justin's and my bronco 2.JPG
    Justin's and my bronco 2.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 54
  • My Rollcage Powdercoated 3.JPG
    My Rollcage Powdercoated 3.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 55
  • my truck.jpg
    my truck.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 73
  • pic in oc.jpg
    pic in oc.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 65

Skipdevil

Loc.
San Diego
I used Ace Hardware Rust Stop gloss black spray paint and primer on my roll cage and bumpers. It is $3.99 a can, sprays on easy and clean and dries to a nice scratch resistant smooth texture. Personally I would not powder coat bumpers since they tend to get scratched. Touch ups are easy with paint. Be sure you prep the metal and clean off any oil, metal flakes, etc....standard paint prep.

Skidevil

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I used black hammerite, which should really be called dark gray. I like the hammered texture but it could be darker.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
If you supply the POR I'll Prep/paint/ top coat it for $25. I work at Heritage Autobody in Owings Mills, Md. and live in Jessup. My cell # is 443-324-9283 or e-mail allenfahey@comcast.net If you want bodycolor I can do that for $50.