• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting/Stripping a hard top

Bferrari

I elected to not have my hardtop media blasted as I was afraid that it would warp. I just started in on chemical stripping it and am using the rustoleum aircraft remover paint stripper. The stripper has worked great on all layers of the paint with exception to the final layer. The last layer of paint isn't even phased by the paint stripper. My question is this, would it be ok to bodywork, scuff and paint over this or should I be sanding it all off with a DA sander? Any help is much appreciated.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
If you've gone that far with the stripper, I'd keep going down to clean metal with the DA. 80 grit ought to tackle that tough old paint.
Tops are very timing consuming to prep and paint, but it will be worth it in the end. Have fun.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
It's a little late now but a great trick for using stripper is to gouge up the paint so the stripper gets under the layers and lifts it in less coats and effort. I use 80 grit on a grinder but try not to grind too deep. You don't want to get too many 80 grit scratches where you are only going to prime. 80 grit is fine if you are going to use bodyfiller. If you sand with anything coarser than 180 for final sanding prior to primer you can/will have sand scratches come back a later time. Once I'm dome with stripper I "wash" it with a red scuff pad and lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner drys the stripper and washes it away prior to sanding the stripper. If you don't get rid of the stripper and go straight to sanding all you are doing is sanding striiper into the metal.
I would sand the rest of the top with 180 to bare metal and get all the seam sealer out of the gutter. I like to use a waffle strip disk for the gutter. It will conform to the gutter shape as it wears. Start and strip a little at a time and by the time you get to bare metal it will be in a "U" shape the same as the gutter.
Once the top is all in bare metal and body work is done you have several ways to tackle it.
1)You can use an epoxy primer
2)Use etching on bare metal followed by a 2K primer.
3)If the top is in excellent shape you could finish sanding with 320 and scuff with a red Scotchbrite, wash with prep solvent, tack, then spray etching sealer (or epoxy mixed as a sealer) and then paint. No sanding. If you choose this I would just apply bare metal primer to the gutter, let dry, sand and scuff with a red Scotchbrite. Use a 2 part self leveling seam sealer (3 tubes) let that dry and lightly scuff with a red scuff pad, then apply etching, sealer, and paint.
Does all that make sense?

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Awesome Allen! Yes, makes sense, all but the waffle strip disk, what is that? Thanks!!

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
THIS but at work the body men use the same thing but on a Roloc. This one I think is for use in a drill.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
THIS but at work the body men use the same thing but on a Roloc. This one I think is for use in a drill.

Those work very well. I have something similar on my grinder for stripping my top right now actually. I don't think I will be stripping the whole top though, only the areas where there's a little rust. I took the same approach with my tub - lots of areas ended up getting stripped but not all. As for the 80 grit scratches yes they are a little difficult to contend with. I used a primer sealer, then a high build primer for final sanding (most of the high build ends up being sanded off anyway). Then paint. It has held up for many years.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Those work very well. I have something similar on my grinder for stripping my top right now actually. I don't think I will be stripping the whole top though, only the areas where there's a little rust. I took the same approach with my tub - lots of areas ended up getting stripped but not all. As for the 80 grit scratches yes they are a little difficult to contend with. I used a primer sealer, then a high build primer for final sanding (most of the high build ends up being sanded off anyway). Then paint. It has held up for many years.

I use high build primer at work as well. No high build primer is recomended to cover 80 grit scratches though. It might work but it more than likely it will/can come back later. It also depends on the color. A darker or high metallic color you will see more of it. Do a TDS (technical data sheet) search for any primer (except for a spray polyester) and it will likely say sand the substrate with 180 or finer.

I follow the paint manufacturers recommendations I learn in the classes they offer and try to pass that on here to others. I have always found that if I follow what they say, I never have any comebacks. One paint manufacturer instructor once said there are 4 different answers if a certain procedure will work
1)Yes works all the time
2)might work sometimes
3)may work for today
4)NFW (no freaking way) it will work

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Good follow up and details, Allen. I should have said you could get 80 grit scratches and might need to smooth and follow up with 180 before epoxy and build primer.

I like those paint strip pads too. Forgot about those. They work well for tough stuff. Had good luck with the green Roloc bristle disks too, but they are expensive and don't last super long.

LA75

Be careful when sanding with a DA or other strip pad. They build up heat very fast, and this too can warp the thin metal of the top. I've seen a lot of first time do-it yourselfers do this on car hoods. Anyway, just a heads up.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Easy way to get the gutters clean is heat from a hand held blue torch, scrape the bulk with a flat screwdriver, heat again and wire or waffle wheel it. You'l be blown away how that bit of heat makes short work of that old sealer!

Back to the stripper...another trick after scarifying the paint a bit is put a piece of plastic over the stripper once applied. Keeps it moist longer and really works good.