• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Panel replacement question

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
I asked about this before but this is more specific. How do I get the rear edge of the lower rear quarter out without removing the upper quarter & the taillight housing? Also, once I get this out, is it best to work from the inside out or outside in going back together? See pictures. Anybody? Thanks.

Attachments

• PA100017.jpg
    PA100017.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG00012.jpg
    IMG00012.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG00013.jpg
    IMG00013.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG00014.jpg
    IMG00014.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
carhauler

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
The other thing I wanted to ask, does anyone have a picture of the bottom of a new upper rear quarter? This one is in good shape other than the bottom lip where the inner quarter meets it has rusted away almost completely. I was going to weld a piece of flat steel to the bottom of the upper 1/4 so I had something to weld to when I put the new inner 1/4 back in. I just don't know what a new one looks like to copy it. Anybody had to this?

OP
OP
carhauler

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
Nice beer score card in pic 3... what happened with the 1/2... spill one?
That chart is sorta accurate. Each slash represents a case. The half was half a case. Been a while since I worked on the EB. The case however is long gone. I have had help with the cases, not the bronco.

T- I only saw the picture with the lower rear quarter removed. I was curious how you got to the spot welds on the rear of the panel without removing the stake pocket piece (don't know what it's really called).

ArmyCOL

I asked about this before but this is more specific. How do I get the rear edge of the lower rear quarter out without removing the upper quarter & the taillight housing? Also, once I get this out, is it best to work from the inside out or outside in going back together? See pictures. Anybody? Thanks.

On mine, the 1/4 panel was not attached to the rear light assembly but to the brace just before it. I located several spot welds towards the bottom of the brace and cut them out. The lower 1/4 panel was welded to the upper in the corner. Once I removed those welds the remaining lower 1/4 panel fell out.

several pics are here:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126528

As for welding it back together. My upper 1/4 panel was rusted out so I cut some sheet metal into strips and welded it to the upper 1/4 panel from inside the tub. I attached the lower 1/4 panel by drilling holes from underneath and securing with a self threading screw. I will plug weld from the top (inside the bed) initially and once I put the body on a rotisserie I will check the welds from underneath.

Chuck

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
On the inside I used a pointed carbide grinding bit and just ground the spotwelds out. It's slow and painful but can be done.

Terry