• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parked 72 Bronco Hit by Drunk Driver. NOW WHAT?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can probably go after her personally for what the insurance doesn't cover. But she probably doesn't have any money. Sorry that that really sucks.

Around here we have so many hit and run s now it s crazy.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
That hurts to look at, sorry this had to happen. Hope they don't decide its totaled but if the frame's bent, it might be a tough fight to win. At the end of the day though, if you were not hurt then Broncos can be fixed or replaced.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sucks. Naturally I'm not there, but it doesn't look too bad. Now's your chance to think about going back to uncut since 1 side will have to be repaired an uncut piece anyway. Maybe think about doing both sides. Your family cage seems to have saved it from being much worse. Doubt the axle is bent. The tire should have absorbed most of the impact on the curb, but have everything checked.

suckerpunched

Duncan, that sucks!!
This is almost exactly why I have my Bronco. (and also why I used the name suckerpunched) Mine was hit head on while stopped it a turn lane. My father in law bought it new, but no one on that side of the family had the ability to fix it. I think you have a good chance of saving the frame since it was hit outside frame rail.
Like the others said, fight for it's real value first.
If they do Total it (and I hope they don't) they might let you buy it back for the same money without actually totaling it if you tell them you are going to fix it. That way you won't end up with a "salvaged" title.
When my brother in law wrecked the one I have now, the insurance company had no problem doing it that way.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sorry to see that. it's just material and can be fixed. it just takes time and money. hope it all works out well for you in the end.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
sux but it could be a lot worse. At least its fixable and probably didn't hurt much unless the frame got tweaked.

I have had 4 vehicle hit and totaled in my life by drunk drivers with no insurance. Insurance companies rarely cooperate the first time when damage is significant and unless some one was hurt in the accident you cant even get their attention. All my wrecks were before TX required insurance and you dint think about paying all that extra money for uninsured motorist insurance.

fix and move on. there's worse things.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
A bad day all around. I rolled my old eb, spent more than it was worth to have it fixed up., but I just couldn't stand leaving her totaled. My pop just shook his head, all his good advice wasted.....but I got my baby back for several more years.....chin up!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Boy that really sucks, but it does look fixable. Good luck with the insurance adjuster.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Deja View. My bet is frame will be fine - just lots of body shock/movement. Make sure they get it right. Will cost a lot , but broncos are worth a lot right now.
It can be done.....

Attachments

• 0237193-R1-021-9.jpg
    0237193-R1-021-9.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 0237193-R1-033-15.jpg
    0237193-R1-033-15.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 207

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Make sure there is a police report! The rest can be argued with some footwork. Don't say yes to anything until you are happy with it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Man that looks like a hard hit. Must of f'ed up the other car too. I'm sorry but I am not real fond of the insurance co. bull. lawyer up and let them handle it. You know it going to be a fight. If you try and do it yourself it's the knife to a gun fight thing. Glad you were not in it at the time.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Who's your ins company? I'd call them, I use USAA and they will represent you w/ the other company whose driver is at fault. This is a huge benefit if you have to lawyer up, they already pay the retainer w/ your premiums, use it

Someone posted to not accept their offer until you're satisfied. I agree x 1,000,000.

Go get some estimates from body shops (of your choosing) to see what it'll cost to return your vehicle to the same condition prior to their insured driver hitting it.

Worse case scenario is you will have to sue.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Ouch! Under the circumstances, you're in the best possible position. You (and other memebrs) may want to consider classic car insurance for this reason.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
That sucks, to be certain. I was rear-ended on the freeway a few years ago and the damage didn't look bad on my '73 (posted pics way back when) but her car was totalled. At least in your case the woman that hit you has insurance....the woman that hit me was uninsured and undocumented. In my case it took about a month before my insurance company made the decision to fix it (full coverage policy) and the body shop was very helpful in providing comps and a pre-accident estimation of the Bronco's worth. They did use auction Broncos, and their selling prices, for some reference, along with other listings that they found to be comparable. They didn't trust my valuation. I'd say, from my experience, definitely consult with a lawyer and don't try to take her insurance company on yourself; if your insurance policy/company helps along those lines all the better! Also, make sure that the repair shops do what they can to check the frame and the entire rear end....these things are stout but a hit like that could definitely have tweaked things a bit.

It took 7 months and a whole list of other hassles to get mine back so I feel your pain and hope that everything goes well for you!

OP
OP
F

FlBronco123

Loc.
Dallas
All -

Thank you for all of your feedback and apologies for the brief response.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in the Northeast and cannot get a flight back to Nola until Sunday.

I will keep you all updated with progress. Currently trying to get an adjustor out to take a look.

Duncan