• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

parking brake cable help please - Wild horses

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey diggs. Can't see the pic(s) because it's asking to sign in.
If you get the chance can you send them to me directly at paulb@wildhorses4x4.com please?

I do know that in '76 there were changes being made to both the pedal assembly and the cantilever interface back under the seat, but both of those would generally only effect the front cable.
Some are actually missing the cantilever in fact. Is yours a very late build '76 by any chance? Does it have the lever arm that pivots off the body, where the two rear cables meet at the balance bar?

Thanks for any pics you can send.

Paul

OP
OP
D

diggs00

Hey diggs. Can't see the pic(s) because it's asking to sign in.
If you get the chance can you send them to me directly at paulb@wildhorses4x4.com please?

I do know that in '76 there were changes being made to both the pedal assembly and the cantilever interface back under the seat, but both of those would generally only effect the front cable.
Some are actually missing the cantilever in fact. Is yours a very late build '76 by any chance? Does it have the lever arm that pivots off the body, where the two rear cables meet at the balance bar?

Thanks for any pics you can send.

Paul

DD I just updated the link :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjteolYDfPrZ0GXzPAgaJEOp0PrLvTvE/view?usp=sharing

OP
OP
D

diggs00

Ok I corrected the issue, the passenger parking brake had come loose from the rear drum lever, stupid.

Now my drum wont go back on even with the pad adjuster fully closed!!! always something

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...drum wont go back on even with the pad adjuster fully closed!!! always something
Sounds like the backing plate has burrs or grooves in the pads where the edges of the shoes rest. Did you lubricate ALL the locations indicated here?

(phone app link)

Use ONLY the greases linked in that caption. This photo album shows a complete brake system rebuild on a '74 eB:

(phone app link)

OP
OP
D

diggs00

Sounds like the backing plate has burrs or grooves in the pads where the edges of the shoes rest. Did you lubricate ALL the locations indicated here?

(phone app link)

Use ONLY the greases linked in that caption. This photo album shows a complete brake system rebuild on a '74 eB:

(phone app link)

Thanks Steve83, I initially applied copper brake lube to the backing plate slide pads, might have to re-apply. I was conservative on the lube amount due to worry of pad contamination. The backing plate slide pads do have noticeable grooves in them, hope these defects wont cause more of an issue.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...applied copper brake lube to the backing plate slide pads...
I've never heard of that type, but if it's specifically intended for brakes, it's probably OK.
The backing plate slide pads do have noticeable grooves...
Then they need to be fill-welded & ground flat. The brakes will never work right if the shoes can't move freely.

OP
OP
D

diggs00

I've never heard of that type, but if it's specifically intended for brakes, it's probably OK.Then they need to be fill-welded & ground flat. The brakes will never work right if the shoes can't move freely.

Damn, ok rear brakes round 3 it is. Im gonna be a pro at drum brakes after all this.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depending on your backing plates, and mainly depending on just how deep your grooves are, you may be able to just file them flat and carry on.
But really, it's a fine line. If they're deep enough, there's nothing for it but for them to be filled and filed.

I've never heard of anyone using an epoxy type product to fill them, but I thought I'd bring that up here in case anyone else has ever heard of something other than fill-welding to get that surface back up to height.
Not sure if it's got the strength and wear resistance, but some of those modern products are pretty darn tough!
Then again, maybe some hard stainless pads of the correct size could be "glued" over the top of the original wear pads?
Just thinking out loud here. Which might not be a good idea when it comes to brakes!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
D

diggs00

Both Backing plate slide plates fill welded and ground flat in the nice 106 weather we are having here in central Texas.

Drums go on much better, driver side needed more resistance adjustment to match the passenger side.