• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parking Brake Pedal Pops back up.

malibubronco

I replaced the rear brake pads on my '73 drum brakes. My parking brake pedal goes down fine but pops back up but only part way. It did this before I did the brakes....
any ideas? I am not a mechanic..

Thanks

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, replacing the rear brake shoes does not change the parking brake adjustment. There is an adjuster where the front cable meets the two rear cables. Look for slack in the cables, and often the cable(s) are rusted and frozen.
I know the release lever is spring loaded but I don't remember if the cable connection has a return spring.
Good luck

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Make sure the pull handle is going all the way back to its base. One of mine does this if I don't manually push the handle back to the dash. I'm sure it's an easy fix but some of us are lazy.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
At one point in my Bronco's long life, I had to to replace the brake pedal assembly because of stripped teeth on the pawl.
Funny though, I can't seem to find it in my maintenance/repair book.

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
To preserve the teeth on the assembly, always a good idea to press down on the E-brake pedal before releasing the handle.