• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parts Washer and Blast cabinet....Worth it?

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Finishing up equipping my shop and was trying to decide if I should get a parts washer or blast cabinet.
So, do you have one?
How often do you use it?
Any particular size or brand to look at?

Found a Cintas parts washer on CL. It retails for $2K but Selling for $300-400. It's old but works. Not sure if that's worth it.

Thanks, Houston

JCBombardier

I use my blast cabinet pretty often and feel like it was a worthwhile investment. I got the HF cabinet and spent another $150 upgrading the gun and adding a filtration setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Parts washer get an old dish washer so you don't have to deal with solvent disposal. with the money saved get a blaster and an extremely good compressor. You need all three as you can't blast dirty greasy parts anyway. If you get a big propane turkey fryer and fill the pot with simple green or tide or what ever the flavor of the day detergent and get it really hot it will really clean dirty parts with a little brushing. another good shop tool is a pressure washer they will save allot of elbow grease. Remember cant blast anything until its clean first.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I've got both. Harbor freight made but bought on craigslist. The parts washer was advertised as everything working for $30. When the pump didn't work, price went down to $15. I use solvent in it anyway so it would have killed the pump regardless. Blaster is worthwhile as well but i didn't find that quite as deeply discounted... :)

Use them both alot to clean up serp set ups... anybody need a serp? lol

Specracer

Both here, couldn't imagine restoring things with out them. If I had to live with out one, I would keep the sand blaster. You can wash parts in a bucket, driveway etc, the washer is just easier. The surface prep a blaster gives is unparalleled.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Industrial simple green, i think its in a pink gallon jug, in a bucket, and time. That or my machinist throws it in his washer for a small charge.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Huge difference between weekend wrenching and regular use.
Parts Washer: If you use solvent, then it doesn't need to be heated but it is pretty nasty stuff (environmental issues and heath hazards). If you go "aqueous" (like simple green) it gets dirty fast and really should be heated to be effective. Plus you have to run a heater all the time for the occasional use I might have,
Blast Cabinet: Nice to have and is always ready... Besides changing your "shot" occasionally there is no upkeep.
Unless you need them all the time, I would not get a parts washer but I would do a cabinet.
My two cents....

HigginsHorse

I've got both. I use my blast cabinet regularly. Best surface prep ever. Parts washer gets used once in a blue moon, but mostly takes up space.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks for the input. What kind of blaster is everybody using? I have a 60gal/ 11.5cfm at 90 air compressor. Will anything work with that? I see most recommend 15 cfm at 90 psi but it's not like I am going to be using it that much.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
MISF & I built a parts washer out of a SS sink, and 5 gallon bucket, and a Lil' Giant pump. We abandoned it about a year and half later. Still worked fine, but was a pain. Now I use a large disposable Tuperware-like tub filled with Purple Cleaner. Way easier and when it's used up it's easier to get rid of too. I keep the white vinegar in a true Tuperware, and keep the lid on it when not R&Ring parts!

I use "Black Beauty" in the Skat blast cabinet that seems to be on permanent loan, with a dust collector. Though I think one of these bolted to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket and a shop-vac would likely work just as well.
I've found the "Black Beauty" to be just the right combo of gritiness and resulting finish for what I need to do (rust, paint, surface blending, etc.).