• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parts washer questions

mortimersnerd

I got a parts washer awhile back and am working to get refinished and set up. Anyone have a favorite cleaner that is non-flammable? I was figuring on Simple Green or something equivalent, but thought I'd see if anyone had a product that was better. Also, I need to repaint it and would like a finish that will stand up to long term submersion in a water based cleaner. Any ideas? Something resistant to mineral spirits or the like would be a plus, but $$ are a consideration.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I used simple green and it rusted out the pump and ate the paint off the inside of the tank. I'd use something else specifically for parts washers.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I signed up with the local Safety Kleen company to service mine. They show up twice a year and replace the solvent, clean up the tank, etc.

I've never tried to repaint one and much of the paint is worn off the inside surfaces of mine. I don't see a problem with that.

I also lease one of their pneumatically-actuated carb soak tanks.

http://www.safety-kleen.com/Pages/Default.aspx

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The Zep is great stuff and you can get 5 gallons at Home Depot in the chemicals aisle. However as someone mentioned it does eat paint on the inside of the tank after a year or so. The Zep is also quick to attack aluminum castings so dip and rinse with water.