• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

passenger drop dana 60

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ok guys there are a ton of these and they are cheap, so can you pull the axle tubes and swap em to the other side making it a driver side drop?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
ok guys there are a ton of these and they are cheap, so can you pull the axle tubes and swap em to the other side making it a driver side drop?

Seriously? It is low pinion - but other then that it would work, but be a lot of work.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto.
If your staying full width and your not in a hurry just wait for a divers drop axle. Its a little more involved than just swapping axle tubes but it can be done

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
yeah but is it that big of a deal for high pinion, whats the issue pinion angles or ground clearance.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Both. I believe its about a 2.5in differance in pinion height between the 2. That added height helps ground clearance especailly when you've gone to a bigger axle. Then you have the added benifit of less driveshaft angle with the high pinion so it is less likely to bind. So pinion angle is less of a concern with the high pinion axle.

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
If you were to go to the trouble to pull the tubes to switch to a drivers side drop, couldnt you clock the housing to give more of an acceptable drive line angle and still keep caster where you want it? Just a thought....

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
so... anyone on here ever done it? i was thinking of doing it as well since i have one sitting outback already made up for coils and 5 link

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would you be linking the Bronco then, or would you be needing some "C's" for the radius arms?
If you swapped the tubes on your existing setup, wouldn't you also need to remove all of the existing link and coil brackets and re-orient them for the other side?

Paul

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
It sounds like a lot of work for minimal gain - I'd rather run a passenger side drop transfer case over swapping out the tubes and link brackets.

I've got a trail only rig and jacked up the pinion until it pointed a little above the case output- no drive shaft bind at all. I knew I had a very flexible front suspension and didn't want to limit travel I was working so hard to get - so pinion angle was important. With the load reactive full hydro is drives normal on the road as well - I'm very happy with how it works, I fully expected it to want to wander with so much negative caster...

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
yes i do believe i would have to redo all the mounts but the p/o only tacked them on for mock up. he put a chev 350 in the bronco thats right chevy motor. all i will say is he wasnt to smart i yanked everything out including the front axle and was planning on purchasing a ford dana 60 but they seem to run about 1k and i already have the gm 60just wondering if its ever been done before, thanks guys!

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
yes i do believe i would have to redo all the mounts but the p/o only tacked them on for mock up. he put a chev 350 in the bronco thats right chevy motor. all i will say is he wasnt to smart i yanked everything out including the front axle and was planning on purchasing a ford dana 60 but they seem to run about 1k and i already have the gm 60just wondering if its ever been done before, thanks guys!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151356

I have already abandoned this idea in the direction of something far more ludicrous and difficult but with a greater payout.