• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PCV - How to Hook it up??

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
I've never had to do any Emissions work, but my setup is definitely putting too much gas in the engine oil, so I wan to install a PCV system.

As I recall, most production PCV systems hooked to a breather on the outside of the air filter, meaning low vacuum.

Can I run a PCV valve directly to a vacuum port on the Carb or is that too much vacuum? My current air filter system is a plate above and below the air cleaner so there is no place to connect a PCV breather to..

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
The PVC systems on two of my Broncos has the PCV valve in the passengers side valve cover and the vacuum is coming from the base of the carb. I am running Holley TAs and the vacuum port is on the passengers side.

AKwheeler

The PCV is suppose to be connected to manifold vacuum. The PCV uses a calibrated spring that works against vacuum to provide a reasonable amount of flow at different loads, such as no flow with engine off, limited flow at idle (even with more vacuum) and high flow under large engine loads (low vacuum). I guess the biggest point about all the above is that you want the correct valve for the application or you can cause driveability issues.

Of course, as you pull vapors out of the crankcase, you will need to allow air to enter which is why the stock system uses a vent on the side opposite of engine to allow fresh (filtered) air to enter.

Also, you must use a central vacuum source, off the carb or intake, not off of one runner or you the air/fuel ratio will be totally skewed for that cylinder.

OP
OP
DuneBuster

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
PCV 101 Help

Looks like what I've done is OK.

Here's what I'm running:
302 with Cobra valve covers
Edelbrock 289 performer intake manifold
Edlebrock 1405 4vv carb
Driver side valve cover has a breather
Passenger side had a similar breather.

Now I've changed it to a breather with no openings other than one large one at the top wiht a grommet that fits a PCV valve that I've installed. Vacuum line from PCV currently goes to the back side 3/8" vacuum port. (I've got the C-4 Modulator vaccum running to a port on the back side of the intake manifold. - It shifts good)

Thanks for the help. There's probably a bunch of people who needed PCV 101 like I did..

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
mine is drivers valve cover filler has hose going to base of carb and pass valve cover has pcvgoing to bottom of the air filter