• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Penetrating oils, busting loose rusted parts

barronj

Bronco Guru
From another board:

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt. Average torque load to loosen nut:

No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price. ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid.

This version of the story was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

NYLES

Bronco Guru
atf and acetone WILL remove paint.......I love my Kroil! ever notice its red?

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Kroil is my favorite. That's what we used to dismantle steam turbines in the power plant that have been running for 7-10 years constantly.
Also makes for a good gun cleaner also.
I was handed down my father's .38 S&W from the 1940's and it removed all the lead fouling and came out like new.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
atf and acetone WILL remove paint.......I love my Kroil! ever notice its red?

If you have rust, you should be removing the paint to cure the cancer anyway... lol, it's not a topside coating :)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ATF and Acetone WILL flash on fire if you look at it wrong. I'm sticking with PB. Skeptical of their test showing Liquid wrench working better than PB. In my experience, you might as well use water as Liquid wrench.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Skeptical of their test .

X2.....

"scientifically rusted" bolt....I call BS as they can only put like bolts thorugh crossion process but they can't control how much one rusts vs. another. Ever get all the rusted bolts out of something only to brake that last one? I sure have.

I've tried a bunch of things but PB has my vote. Stuff works......

Tim

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I removed my crossmember last weekend, 8 smallish bolts holding the frame perches.

The day before I soaked them down with kroil, all 8 came out nice and easy.

Now I can't tell if they just were not that tight or what, I had to clean a lot of gunk off the bolt heads so it could get to the bolts, and there is rust in the threads, but they eased out great.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Wasnt in the test, but im partial to Breakfree CLP. Works great!
I am getting stingier with it though, and have been using PB with pretty good results

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
KROIL in my eyes is the Best product made......next to WD-40...which is great for removing those though baked on Bumper Stickers....ATF-Acetone ...is great but removes paint as well....A Propane-Instant light torch works almost as fast as Kroil...but let it Cool first.....otherwise ...Owies happen..

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
KROIL in my eyes....

Just made my eyes hurt thinking about it. PB has worked great for me. Best experience was with a 43 International pickup chassis that I pulled out of a field. Soaked all the bolts on the chassis, leaf springs, perches, etc. All of them came off and in such good shape I reused most of them.

JSBX

Contributor
Oil

I have had good luck with diesel also. Especially when you can soak parts overnight such as axel ujoints.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Did I mention straight diesel works great too?...My vote then is PB sucks hind tit, garbage!!!

Was going to say that I have unlocked several MC/ATV motors with diesel fuel before.

On a boy dog whitch one is hind tit;D

jcpetrson

If scientists are the cause of rust... :mad:

I have found that anti-sieze works better than all of them. I wish my PO spent $5 on a tube of permatex.