• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Perma Dry Valve Cover Gaskets

76BroncoPete

Contributor
I have a small valve cover leak, and I have been eyeballing the perma dry gaskets that duff offers. I have the polished bronco script valve covers, and I had some trouble way back when I install them with the cork gasket tabs lining up with the notches in the covers. I am curious if anyone has used the perma dry gaskets with the script covers? Any issues? Personal experience? Also any recommendations on removing the old yellow gasket adhesive from the aluminum covers without damaging them? Lastly are the duff gaskets the same as summit has on their site? i would really appreciate any help or info that could be provided, and I apologize if this is a subject that has been covered on a previous thread. I searched the forum, google, and DuckDuckGo without much luck.

Thanks,

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Not sure about the Duff gaskets but man....They have "been there and done that" I would trust whatever they are promoting.

I have the expensive silicone gaskets. But I still have a leak at the bolt holes at the back of the head. I need to seal that and I should be good. I used the studs for my valve covers. Bolts might seal better.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I do not have the "Script" covers but I have the old aluminum M/T black covers.
The perma dry gaskets worked great on them. I even removed one again to verify I removed an oil galley plug and no leaks. As for cleaning, I used a scraper and a scotch-brite roto disc to remove any residue.

KBUCK1

Not sure about the Duff gaskets but man....They have "been there and done that" I would trust whatever they are promoting.

I have the expensive silicone gaskets. But I still have a leak at the bolt holes at the back of the head. I need to seal that and I should be good. I used the studs for my valve covers. Bolts might seal better.

I have the moroso silicone gaskets and have been fighting the same leak

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
As far as valve cover leaks when you have the valve cover off, take a steel ruler or any true flat edged item and "flat ck" the bolt head area of the underside of the valve cover.

Those bolts can get over tightened and bend the valve cover down.

Here is some real good, but pretty expensive stuff.
International T-442 Black RTV Silicone - High Temp Petroleum Silicone Sealant

Or International part number 1 830 858 C1

Attachments

• rtv.jpg
    rtv.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 261

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The steel/silicone gaskets are simply what Ford made as OE in the mid '80s for the aluminum Mustang 5.0 GT valve covers and the far thicker stamped steel valve covers used on other applications. They are identifiable by the upturned edge or lip. There were no notches for the gaskets on these valve covers. Bottom line is they work, given truly flat gasket surfaces.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Thanks for the responses. I picked up a set of nonmarring scrapers to try to remove the residue, and will give scotch-brite roto disc a try if the scrapers don't get the job done. I like the straight edge test for trueness also. I think I will give the gaskets a shot too

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use them under Proform valve covers without any kind of sealant and they have never leaked.

Attachments

• PRO-302-135_xl.jpg
    PRO-302-135_xl.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Permatex makes a gasket remover that I've seen take off yellow Super Gorilla Snot w/o much elbow grease.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like to use the FelPro rubberized cork gaskets.
Don't use RTV, and don't use sealant on both sides.
I use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive only on the cover side, and a light coat of motor oil on the engine side. That way you can reuse the gasket easily.
Only tighten the bolts until snug. You can always retighten if needed.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Any idea what the exact name is of the permatex gasket remover? I probably over did the gorilla snot on the last install.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
I picked up a set of the felpro permadry valve cover gaskets today at the local o'reilly for $29. That was a bit cheaper than most places that I checked online. Plus it saved on shipping and I didn't have to worry about the delivery guys jacking them up as he kicked the package up the driveway to the front porch. They appear to be well constructed. I am going to try to install them this weekend if possible. I am going to do the straight edge test on the covers, as recommended by FordBronc, to verify their trueness. Hopefully this will take care of my leak.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
The instructions that came with the gaskets call for 60 inch lbs on the bolts, and to use load spreaders, but everything I have found on the forum calls for around 7 inch lbs. Seems like a big difference. Can someone, preferably that has used the perma dry gaskets, clarify which torque value is correct. Thanks