• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Petersen 4x4, Slamming Broncos!!!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
My email to Jerrod:

"A stock FX4 Ranger is better than a stock Early Bronco? Sounds like we need a good old fashion wheel-off to show the Bronco's prowess! Dont get me wrong, I'm sure the Ranger works great when going to the grocery store, but honestly, to make the list of the best 4x4's of all time?

I saw a few pictures in the mag where it looked like your head was missing and I didn't know what had happened. I figured it had to be a freak accident or something, but now I know the real cause - it has been up your ass this whole time!

Your buddy, and longtime reader,

Eric
Moorpark, CA"

Hopefully I get a response, haha!

joe

Bronco Guru
heres mine, Let me guess Mr. Jones, your about 24 years old and never grew up in the 4-wheel drive evelotion. heck, you probobly just bought one when you got your first job since graduating from some third string community college and your dad is good friends with the editor of pettersons off road mag.

it sounds familiar to me cause I obviously didnt do my research on your abillity to write an article on the best 4x4 of all time. and after reading yours, its obviouse you didnt do any research either,

come on, get the FACTS, not personal opinions. we all have them and this is my opinion of you.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
trailpsycho said:
HP numbers maybe, butthere is no way that the 4.0 generates more torque than a 302...and since we are talkin' about a truck thats much more important than its top end power.
More torque no. Nice flat torque curve yes. At least my '99 4.0 did. It pulled very nice from 1600 up to 5000. Much better than my '75 Bronco when it was stock. That said, it would high center on the curb outside my house!%)

Broncoholics

Loc.
Windsor, CO
Broncology said:
The Rubicon has dana 44's, but doenst it have dana 30 outers? I dont know much about them, I could be wrong. I also didnt think the transfercases in those things were very strong. I would take an EB over a Rubicon anyday.

Yup, Dana 30 outers, but its got air lockers, 297 u-joints, 4.10s, 4:1 Tcase that is every bit as strong or stronger than a D20.

I am not bashing an EB, nor do I want a Rubicon, but the Rubicon is the better rig in STOCK form by far.

KevinT70

Loc.
Santa Clara, Ca
I cancelled my subscription in the mid-80's when they published a head-to-head comparison of a (nicely modified) '77 vs a Bronco II, and declared the newer "Bronco" the winner. Pretty sad I can remember something like this from 20+ years ago!

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same MORON who both articles.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Broncoholics said:
I am not bashing an EB, nor do I want a Rubicon, but the Rubicon is the better rig in STOCK form by far.

Yeah, but the "stock" starting price tag for a rubicon is $28k. The dang thing had better be superior for that much.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
LoL,

wow he got back to me right away!

here's the reply & letter:

Ahh, a Bronco owner. Ha ha, glad to get the reaction out of you.

-----Original M[Jones, Jerrod] [Jones, Jerrod] essage-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:18 PM
To: Jones, Jerrod
Subject: You no Clue about 4x4 vehicles

Your article on the best 4x4 by manufacture is CRACKED OUT!

If you had even a hint of a clue about what you write about you'd realize that the D44 was on bronco's starting in 1971(that's 7 production years!!!)! It DID COME with L.S. diff's BOTH FRONT AND BACK!!!! It had 289 V8 power when everybody used 4 and 6 cyl.

I like rangers, BUT YOU HAVE almost NONE of your facts right!!!!!!! The H3 dose as good as the colorado, the only true HUMMERS are H1's and made by Am. Gen... NOT GM!!!!

In short... DO SOME FACT CHECKS PRIOR TO printing an article. You made yourself look STUPID!

but I am sure you feel diffrently, have a good ride to work in yer lil Tracker... FAKE SELL OUT LOSER!

-k-

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am glad someone else posted this because I had been planning to do over the past weekend, but did not have time to do so. Besides I did not trust myself to be civil.
All of the above comments are good. But he also made the off hand comment that D44s were only available for “the last few years of production”. Duh! They were available from 1971 to 1977, more than 6 years of a 10 year run. That is hardly the last “few years”. And my ’71 came with LS in the front as well as the back. Few vehicles even offered LS in the front axles at that time. Yep, this was over the top. I am cancelling. I read these mags for enjoyment not for misinformation. If I want to be upset, I can read the newspapers.

By the way, Four Wheeler did a "best four wheeler of all time" article a few year ago. And they did it by polling a series of experts, in true journalistic fashion, not by letting some idiot mouth off his personal opinion. Guess which vehicle won.The early Bronco. I have the article if anyone wants the reference.

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
MarsChariot said:
By the way, Four Wheeler did a "best four wheeler of all time" article a few year ago. And they did it by polling a series of experts, in true journalistic fashion, not by letting some idiot mouth off his personal opinion. Guess which vehicle won.The early Bronco. I have the article if anyone wants the reference.

Ya, I remember that article. That's why I was kinda disappointed. And he even had the nerve to say that he expected Bronco owners to disagree. It's like he just put the Ranger in the article just to piss us off.

jim71

Loc.
Sprague MB
That article was a huge disappointment; in fact, the whole magazine was just another let-down. I'm subscribed to both Four Wheeler and 4Wheel and Off-Road, and most of the time the rags are filled with stuff the Bronco owner can't use. Still, I think that overall the price is worth it for tips, new product reviews, etc. I just wish that the mags could put more content in, or at least elaborate on their build-ups, show a few more pics, or give a page or two more to their cover trucks. But I understand that it's a business and a living for them, and they are owned by a larger company: it's just too bad that they seem to alienate so many 4x4 enthusiasts.

Blackcypress-EB

Loc.
Winchester, KY
Those idiots don't care who they alienate. It's all about demographics and trying to appeal to the wannabe's that don't have the sack to own anything but a mallcrawler. And putting $60,000 eye candy rigs on the cover to deceive some clown into thinking that it ever once went offroad before they put their plastic tag on it and put it in the mud puddle out back. I have subscribed for years, but no renewal for me. I have said before that scouts ran a close second. I had a '64 Scout 80 ,but the ugly little bastard rotted out from under me. :(

jon705

jim71 said:
That article was a huge disappointment; in fact, the whole magazine was just another let-down. I'm subscribed to both Four Wheeler and 4Wheel and Off-Road, and most of the time the rags are filled with stuff the Bronco owner can't use. Still, I think that overall the price is worth it for tips, new product reviews, etc. I just wish that the mags could put more content in, or at least elaborate on their build-ups, show a few more pics, or give a page or two more to their cover trucks. But I understand that it's a business and a living for them, and they are owned by a larger company: it's just too bad that they seem to alienate so many 4x4 enthusiasts.

I agree with you on the content. I had a subscription to Car Craft and Off-Road and let them both lapse because I wasn't getting enough out of them. I'd read through the "articles" in a couple days. There were not enough details to really prove helpful. If they would go a little more in depth with the descriptions or add a few more pictures it would be worthwhile. Seems like most of the truck magazines and TV shows are more of an advertisement for aftermarket products than providing any real substance.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I got a response from Jerod as well:

J.D.- yep, I was wrong, the Bronco DID in fact come with a limited slip in the Dana 44. My Ford knowledge is minimal, and unfortunately we really don't have an in-house Ford guy on editorial staff. So when I put stuff together, I sometimes look to outside sources for information. Obviously the info I got was not totally accurate, and it was my bad for not doublechecking that. Also, apparently they made a half year 6 speed in late 2005 in the Jeeps, so I was wrong about 6 speeds only coming in 2006, and the Land Rovers had 3.9-liter engines originally which were upgraded to 4.0-liters. Oh, and apparently the FX4 Ranger was an FX4 Level II Ranger (I've never even heard of the Level II part).
I think I'd still stick by my choice though, even now knowing that the Broncos had a front limited slip. The story was about the best totally stock 4x4s in all off road conditions. And though out of taste I definitely agree with you (I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ranger, and I love full convertibles so the Bronco would be a great platform for me to build on), but I think overall, a Ranger would do pretty well through all types of off road (remember, all types of off road include mud, sand, high speed running, and snow running, not just rockcrawling or trail riding). I think a Bronco would whoop all over a Ranger in trailriding or crawling, but these other areas of the off road are another story....
Thanks for having an educated response for me J.D. Yours will probably go up on the web.
-Jerrod

All I see are excuses...you?

J.D.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
LOL, what ever he can keep his lil RAV4 and be happy. It just sux that a NATIONAL mag has NO FORD guys on staff... sounds like a collection of TARDS...

Hmmm, lets post personal opinions and not bother checking the FACTS prior to printing!! Good thing a Bronco isn't as moody as Sha Sha Ga-boore, she bitch slapped a cop for pull'n her over!!!

I bet Petersons RANTS AND RAVES about the new KIA Sportage!!!!

:cool:

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Slick said:
?:?

huh??

missed that 1 what choo talk'n bout willis??????

:cool:
a ref to the copy and paste article in bd and the poor customer service thereafter the complaints, another rag kickin readers to the curb:mad: