• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

petroleum jelly on the radiator hose

robinsoncc

Will applying a light coating of petroleum jelly to the inside of the hoses keep them from getting stuck on the radiator and pump.

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
Good idea, wrong material

The petro jelly will attack traditional hose material, but silicone paste works very well and will not decrease the durability of the hose. Good luck!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Go to NAPA and get a product called Sil-Glyde.

It works great for this!

It comes in a squeeze tube about the size of a tube of RTV.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
funny fellas love the suggestions
Use di-electric grease, the stuff for electrical connections
It is silicone based not dino based
TOFIC

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Dish soap and some sprays will help get hoses on, but will dry out and not prevent them from sticking when you want to remove them later (the original reason the OP posted the question).

I beleive CRC and LPS are petroleum based, and therefore not the best for use on some rubber hoses.

Sil-Glyde and other silicone based products will allow for easy removal later.

*Note* Sometimes the reduced friction required the tube that the hose is being clamped to have a bead rolled into it or the hose might slip off. Not a problem with most radiator connections, but sometimes when using this on other applications with straight tube ends, slip off can be an issue.

Last edited:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
The same as TOFIC, I use dielectric grease.
Actually I use it on just about everything.
Electrical connections also.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I laugh every-time this topic hit the top slot because the preview in the form overview on the right hand side cuts the title off at the perfect spot so it reads:

petroleum jelly on the ...

The suspense finally got the better of me.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The same as TOFIC, I use dielectric grease.
Actually I use it on just about everything.
Electrical connections also.

x3. And on electrical connections especially!

I buy it the Klein brand; in the Cheeze-wiz sized/style cans with same dispensing nozzle.

Dielectric grease is the key to successfull offroad racing in wet environments. ;D