• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pickup Coil on a 74 Bronco 302

codsak

Loc.
Saint Augustine
Hey guys,

I have a question on a pickup coil. Do you have to pull the distributor or can you get the the plate screws and vacuum advance? I can't find a video.

Yooper74

I just pulled points, VAcuum advance, backing plate on mine to install a pertronix III. I did it all with distributor in place

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if I understand your question your replacing the mag pick-up inside the distributor.
pop the cap and pull the rotor unscrew the vacuum pot. remove the c-clip on the arm of the vacuum pot rock the vacuum pot down the arm comes off the post then pull the pot out of the housing. the wheel on the shaft of the distributor is held in by a vertical roll pin at the shaft. pry up the rotor with 2 screwdrivers one on each side. don't loose the roll pin. below is the bottom plate it is held in place by a rolled wire snap ring. pry this ring off. where the wire exits the distributor body there is a screw to remove. now you can remove and replace the stator assembly. don't buy the cheapest part you can find as these parts are precision and cheap junk is junk I only use the Motorcraft part.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can do this easily while the distributor is in the Bronco. you will need a step stool and hopefully a safe place to put the little parts like a magnet cup. loose the parts and your screwed to replace them.

Yooper74

Keep an eye on that tiny c-clip that holds vacuum actuator arm. That thing was challenging for my big fingers

jckkys

Bronco Guru
All this is true, but it's easier to just pull the distributor.