• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pics of Explorer EFI with EGR Elbow

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a one inch body lift so I know that will help. Also if you used a mustang Egr plate, would like to see pics.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes it will fit, I have done two of these conversions, both with the Mustang EGR spacer.
You do have to buy a larger EGR spacer 70mm or expand the factory one.
I also use the mustang throttle cable on this set up.
The 4 studs needed for holding the TB/spacer to the upper plenum can be found at Summit and other Mustang vendors. They, old ones, usually are a little toasted. You usually have to do a little grinding on the upper plenum to insure the EGR spacer center hole lines up. And a little grinding on the small EGR port. I use the 96 Explorer gaskets for TB and EGR spacer.

Typically, I take the Explorer 65mm TB and change out the spring and shaft arm to one from a mustang 60mm TB. Occasionally, I will find them at the wrecking yard or I have friends who are happy to get rid of them, since they upgraded their rig to larger ones. Hard to find a Ford Racing 65mm one from back in the day when they were available...

On the first picture, I used a 98 MAF that has the ACT built into it, a little cleaner than drilling another hole in the intake pipe for the Explorer one. Minor change to the wiring to make it work. You do need the 6 pin plug from the 98 as well. If you don't go that route, I will need to dig up the part number of a grommet I used that is from the Dorman Help line.

The 96 heater cooling tubes work the best to retain the Mustang EGR coolant cooling hoses. A little more creative routing with the hoses, and I typically use 1/4" silicon hoses with EFI hose clamps with the hope I don't ever have to replace them.

There is other little fine tuning items like making a bracket for the EGR vacuum controller, I can't recall if I used the mustang EGR valve with the Explorer EGR sensor (Interchangeable) or the other way around. It is all about what fits and how long the pigtail on the harness is.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_163110108_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210403_163110108_HDR.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN5296.JPG
    DSCN5296.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN5297.JPG
    DSCN5297.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have done the Explorer 90* EGR elbow and relocated the battery, made a special extension pipe over the Alt, and etc.

It can be done, but it is a lot more work...

Attachments

• DSCN4314.JPG
    DSCN4314.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN5646.JPG
    DSCN5646.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 68

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s what 904 did for the’68 I now have.
What are you doing with the rest of the EGR stuff Doug?
When using the mustang bits and pieces, does a tube still connect to the exhaust?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That’s what 904 did for the’68 I now have.
What are you doing with the rest of the EGR stuff Doug?
When using the mustang bits and pieces, does a tube still connect to the exhaust?
Early style Explorer upper and lower plenums (96-97 1/2) have internal EGR like the Mustang plenums.
The 1st picture, Mater, has the later style Exhaust manifolds that support external EGR. Exhaust Adapter has a threaded plug in it. You can do the same with a oil drain plug from a Cummins's motor, 21-22mm I believe. (Headers have become a little expensive)

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_120939643.jpg
    IMG_20210220_120939643.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 27

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Okay minor screw up on my part... Above 1st post (Mater) ^^^ This is a 97 motor with P-heads. The lower plenum had the cross over and EGR supply, But the upper plenum did not have the port, as it was set up for external EGR. I swapped the Upper for a 96 upper that I had in order to retain the Mustang EGR. Sorry for leaving out that detail.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Okay minor screw up on my part... Above 1st post (Mater) ^^^ This is a 97 motor with P-heads. The lower plenum had the cross over and EGR supply, But the upper plenum did not have the port, as it was set up for external EGR. I swapped the Upper for a 96 upper that I had in order to retain the Mustang EGR. Sorry for leaving out that detail.

At least you caught yourself.. :)