• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pics of Explorer Rear Disc Hose Placement/Routing, Lower Shock Mount Loaction

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have Currie housing with exp.,rear disc. Ordered Currie’s hose set but they are pretty short.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t have pics at the moment I don’t think. But just to be clear, you’re talking about the caliper hoses between the caliper fitting and the end of the axle housing?
They don’t have to be super long, but can you measure yours for us? I have one of our old kits around, but not gonna be able to get to it anytime soon.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t have pics at the moment I don’t think. But just to be clear, you’re talking about the caliper hoses between the caliper fitting and the end of the axle housing?
They don’t have to be super long, but can you measure yours for us? I have one of our old kits around, but not gonna be able to get to it anytime soon.
Yes, from axle to caliper. Will get a measurement.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Illustrating that they don't need to be very long: Expedition RDB's (same as Explorer, just larger rotors) on my D60-

i-hT8Fq78-L.jpg

You want them long enough that you can place the caliper somewhere when you have them loose without them hanging by the hose. They don't need to be any longer than that.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I don’t have a shock to check for lower mount. Will it need to be relocated?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are multiple hits for the lower shock mount and (most) rear disc brake installs.
Either the lower mount needs to be relocated (usually just moved inboard a smidge), or some just create a new shock bolt location. Moves the lower shock eye to the inner flange wall of the mount.
Another way that is successful sometimes, is to mount the shock shaft to the lower mount and the body to the upper. This often gives enough clearance because it's the shock body that usually hits the brake caliper.
Some shocks, some particular Bilstein 5100's for example, mount this way on purpose. Easy peasy win win in that case.

Mounting the shock eye inboard of the mount, using either a longer bolt to act as a stud, or by simply bolting it to the mount wall, seems the least desirable. It puts the shock mount in single-shear, rather than the factory's more desirable double-shear mounting.
But it's quick! Don't know that I've seen more than just a couple done this way, but don't know that I've ever heard of them having trouble either. Personally though, I would not mount one in single-shear and expect it to live a long life if you have stiff shocks (heavy valving OR strong gas charge for example) or work the suspension hard.

The 100% cure is to relocate the shock mounts. But only do it if you need to.

Paul

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are multiple hits for the lower shock mount and (most) rear disc brake installs.
Either the lower mount needs to be relocated (usually just moved inboard a smidge), or some just create a new shock bolt location. Moves the lower shock eye to the inner flange wall of the mount.
Another way that is successful sometimes, is to mount the shock shaft to the lower mount and the body to the upper. This often gives enough clearance because it's the shock body that usually hits the brake caliper.
Some shocks, some particular Bilstein 5100's for example, mount this way on purpose. Easy peasy win win in that case.

Mounting the shock eye inboard of the mount, using either a longer bolt to act as a stud, or by simply bolting it to the mount wall, seems the least desirable. It puts the shock mount in single-shear, rather than the factory's more desirable double-shear mounting.
But it's quick! Don't know that I've seen more than just a couple done this way, but don't know that I've ever heard of them having trouble either. Personally though, I would not mount one in single-shear and expect it to live a long life if you have stiff shocks (heavy valving OR strong gas charge for example) or work the suspension hard.

The 100% cure is to relocate the shock mounts. But only do it if you need to.

Paul
Thanks Paul, got a shock coming. I already bought new lower mounts, but will check first. Not tracking on the 5100 mounting, will have to google that. IMG_1748.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: