• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pictures of Master Cyl that I talked about

mista mal

Loc.
LAFAYETTE, LA
Here is the master cyl they told me is shot. I have been told the whole brake system needs to be replaced. I still want to upgrade breaks but do you think it needs to be done now. My gallery is finally posted. Please look at bronco and tell me any advice. Also I paid 6088 total 6500 with shipping do you all think I over paid?

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• mastcyl.jpg
    mastcyl.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 95

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Still cant see your gallery, You might have to go into the settings and make it public or something...You can see to the left in this reply under my user name that is says the link "my gallery"....try to turn it on so I can get a better look, The pictures that I have posted are right when I bought my rig for 4400 which In my mind was a fair deal.

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
I think you got a great deal, enjoy the truck and take your time doing everything right the first time. Remember that when something goes wrong with the rig its not always a bad thing, it just gives you another chance to learn something. ;D

Itsa67

I checked out your gallery. It looks like a really nice Bronco and I think you got a good deal. Just gotta get the brakes sorted out and start enjoying it!

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Do the brakes work well? Does it leak (badly)? If it stops good (well as good as can be expected if you have drums) and doenst leak too bad then theres no rush. Do it in stages, discs up front are the biggest bang for $. Drove my non power disc with 35's, stopped ok just not much modulation.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looks like a decent rig.... Seen a lot worse for the $$$

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Like everyone said, don't worry about what you paid for it. You own it now, so start enjoying it. As for the brakes, if the master looks that bad on the outside, I can't imagine what it looks like on the inside. I posted on your original post. The only real things you need working on your Bronco are safety related. Brakes are the biggest safety item there is. If you don't have the money to spend on a disc - power upgrade, then at least rebuild what you have meaning: New Master, New drums (or turn them if they are in spec.), New wheel cylinders (or rebuild), new bearings while you are at it, and lastly flush the lines before connecting to your new wheel cylinders.

As I suggested before, if funds are limited, hold a Bronco Bretheren Saturday Party with Good Beer and Pizza and you would be amazed at how much can be accomplished in a short period of time. Hell, I wish I lived closer to help.

Chris B.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
My master looked that bad on the outside, but was great on the inside - brake fluid is very hygroscopic and keeps the brake component internal corrosion to a minimum, as long as you change it regularly (or leak enough and top it up - LOL)... :D At least DOT3 or DOT4 glycol based fluid Dunno about the silicone ones...

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
My master looked that bad on the outside, but was great on the inside - brake fluid is very hygroscopic and keeps the brake component internal corrosion to a minimum, as long as you change it regularly (or leak enough and top it up - LOL)... At least DOT3 or DOT4 glycol based fluid Dunno about the silicone ones...

You could be correct. I looked through all the photos of his truck and it was definately a cosmetic restoration. It looks great on the outside. I am just wondering how long ago those brakes were serviced? My guess is the fluid has not been changed in a very long time.

Chris B.

Luke_C

Mine looks about like that and it still stops the big wheels when I move it around the garage.

Maybe a simple swap out will do the trick. Or rebuild if you're up to it.

Luke