• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion Bearing Preload???? Too Tight?

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hey alll. Finished buttoning up the pinion gear on my D44, and it feels a bit tight. When I torqued down to 100 ft/lbs with the old nut, I checked preload and it was less than 40 in/lbs, but more than 25 in/lbs, and then loosened up more and I spun it, playin' with it
Now, I used the new pinion nut, torqued down to 100 ft/lbs, then bumped the nut with my impact wrench a few times (Max torque of impact wrench is 250 ft/lbs) and now the pinion preload is much higher.
Should I worry?
Basically, What should I do, I'm at a loss. Run it? Will it loosen up a bit? Stick another shim in there?
Thanks

rednck21

try hitting the pinion nut with a brass hammer. thats what i do to "settle" everything when its a little to tight.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
With new bearings, 20 inch pounds is good.
With old bearings, 10 inch pounds is good.

Like said, tap it with a hammer and try again. If it's still over 25, I'd reshim it.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
When I did mine last week I had to add shims to maintain the pinion at a max of 20 inch pounds at the 250 torque on the pinion nut. I can tell you that I got another nut (setup nut) and used it time and again until all was right and then used the lock nut on the last time.

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hey,
Yeah, i had a bonehead menuever.. I was reading the torque gauge wrong and was getting all confused. The torque wrench I was using only went as low as 25 in/lbs, so I tested it, and it didn't click, which really meant I had LESS than that amount of resistance. I turned the adjustment lower (off the scale) a bit and I got a click soon after, so I just had a brainfart.. thanks

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
You shouldn't be using a click type torque wrench. You can't read a accurate measurement. The torques to get it moving is different than the torque to keep it moving. The dial type with a maximum value should be around 35-50inch pounds. I have one that maxs a 75 and I need to really watch it close.