• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion bearing preload 9" & reading gear pattern

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
tried again and its a very different pattern

My observation is that the drive side pattern looks like its centered OK from top to root but it walks off the heel. Coast side looks like its closer to the top but also out on the heel. Decreasing backlash should bring it in from the heel but I'm already at .008 and my shop manual tells me backlash should be .008-.012. Can I safely reduce backlash below .008? Am I correct in thinking that a thinner pinion shim would push the drive side pattern further off the heel but could help center the coast pattern?

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 18

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Something isn't right with that last one. Reset the backlash again and make sure the pinion support is torqued down.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X2, that last pattern doesn't look right at all. Looks like the pinion housing isn't seated all the way in.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'll try again, maybe I didn't clean the mating surfaces as well as I thought.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I think my results are starting to look up. This is with the backlash at .011 and the original pinion shim. The shim had a little chuck of sealer on it that might have been the culprit behind my previous results. Does this look OK?

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Looks dang good to me, run it. That's almost the same pattern I got when I rebuild my 9 this summer. The old gears had that same pattern too or very close to it.

I too ended up getting the best pattern with the original pinion shim.

Tim

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Much better. The drive side might be a little heavy in the root (just a little more pinion shim needed) but that may be as close as you can get it. I'd like to see what some of the more experienced guys say.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Much better. The drive side might be a little heavy in the root (just a little more pinion shim needed) but that may be as close as you can get it. I'd like to see what some of the more experienced guys say.

At least I'm comfortable with it now. I would also be interested in what the Ring and Pinion Guru's have to say about it.