• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Piston Selection

Jduke

Contributor
What piston does everyone recommend for a mild 302 30 over build with 4 BBL, RPM intake and RV cam. Looking for torque, not high RPM.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top.
Seems to me that a stock type, or at the most hypereutectic pistons would be fine.
No need to go forged for your use.
And when I say stock, of course, I mean stock type, because you’re already needing an .030” larger than stock size.
So basically, nothing exotic.

Lots of good piston, discussioneering going on around here lately though. Maybe someone will have some different insight.
Unfortunately, some of the recent discussions have been about negative aspects. But that was more to do with improper cylinder wall sizing and hone pattern then faulty materials in the pistons I think.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say as well, stock motor, stock pistons for what you have. Should be able to source Mahl oem like hypertetic, but remember to set gap for the piston used, and don't push beyond I wanna say 32 degrees advance, hypers don't like knocking.

$170 on summit, wow:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...fXXBmask4WfECQMYv1tNHJQaenn9BvZxoCEGEQAvD_BwE

Make sure your builder agrees first, the ones shown are only example, they might not work for compression ration.