• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pitman arm puller

papy

Contributor
anyone here have a make/model and part number for a pitman arm puller that will work on our stock boxes and ptiman arms? i am on my second purchase and return as the ones i picked up would not fit. I used a 2 claw gear puller in the past but shes had her day. need something more duty.

the lisle one i picked up that didnt work was part # 41900 and a generic one from a local store thae came close but still wouldnt fit beween the top of the arm and bottom of the box or around the arm circumference.

thanks

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I used the one from Advanced Auto from their "loaner tool" program.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Cant just borrow one from Orileys or Auto zone? then if you find one that fits buy the same unit if you must have one.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
thank you all for the info. We have a few places here in Alberta (Canadian tire and part source) that have a tool loan program. I want to both and they don't have anything big enough. Going to purchase the OTC 6497 as recommended or the Lisle one TGJ posted. I've heard that one works well.
cheers

broncosam

Bronco Guru
The one I have was just a bit too narrow to fit on the pitman arm on my 74 Bronco so I just took a grinder and ground a small flat area on each side of the arm till it went on. I done it by trial and error. I would take a bit off and check the fit till it would slide on. I bet I did not take 1/8" off each side. To me that was easier than running all over hell's creation trying to find a puller that would fit. I am betting that I did not hurt the strength integrity of that arm one bit.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
One of our pawn shops has a good many speciality tools like those.. too save moneys you might check you local Pawn dealers since you'll not use it but may be 3 more times in you life.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Pawn shop tool rental program?
More likely than not, it’s a place to BUY what you need at a greatly reduced $$$. I go to several local pawn shops routinely and have found name brand tools that are either new or gently used for 1/3 of the new price.

Randy

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
One of our pawn shops has a good many speciality tools like those.. too save moneys you might check you local Pawn dealers since you'll not use it but may be 3 more times in you life.

Yep. I had a good friend that owned a pawn shop nearby. I bought a lot of good tools from him for next to nothing. Stuff I was only going to use once he just let me borrow over the weekend…

jrwyant

Contributor
I just replaced my stock pitman arm with a drop arm: I spent a few hours trying to grind/clearance the Lisle tool the local parts stores had, all to no avail. I broke down and ordered this one (Cal-Van Tools Part No. 18640) from Summit, and had the arm off in 10 seconds. So, $20 and hours of cursing, versus $120 and 10 seconds.

I’m posting this here for future searches. (I didn’t know if this puller would work on my stock ‘77 pitman arm, took a gamble, and found it to work great.)

6CEEF596-D617-4358-9113-21FD0562C660.jpeg

Here’s the seal kit I used:

A0AF1D44-FF1E-407F-A311-F0614BCADB1A.jpeg

Interestingly, somebody had been into this previously, as they had not fully seated the clip, and so the bottom seal was partially protruding out of the box, explaining my slight leak. The enclosed kit’s directions did not specify the order and direction of seal installation, so I referenced Viperwolf’s guidance (thanks!) fromthis thread.

1F2AB484-CFD8-4F22-99EC-42DD5C262A75.jpeg

I ultimately had to omit one of the two washers, in order to expose the clip groove. I don’t know if the new seals were slightly taller, or what. But, seems to have worked in eliminating my leak.

Last edited:

Cortez

Bronco Guru
After breaking a loaner from Advance Auto, I just took my steering box by a local auto shop and had Them pull it. Think I gave them a six pack In exchange.