• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pitman arm puller

joe

Bronco Guru
cant seem to find mine, must must have grown legs or someting %) not having any luck finding one big enough at all the chain stores. Where did you get yours?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Got mine at a chain store. $13.95 Only size they had. Did have to widen it a bit at the tips with an angle grinder, but just a little bit. Much easier/cheaper than trying to find a perfect fitting one. Still have it. Didn't need it. Pitman arm popped off pretty easy.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
joe said:
cant seem to find mine, must must have grown legs or someting %) not having any luck finding one big enough at all the chain stores. Where did you get yours?

A hammer and some patience did the trick for me.. ;D

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Add some downwards force with a small jack on drag link near the bolt or on the bolt and hammer the side of the knuckle. Should pop off with a few good hits.
If not turn the castle nut over and apply pressure to the drag link and hit the nut.

OP
OP
joe

joe

Bronco Guru
I tried napa and took the one that I got from advanced auto, there exactly the same. but I didnt know they had one that says truck. thanks, Ive tried to jack and hammer but no luck. If my local napa dont got the truck one I think I try the grinding on it method. thank guys for the help and BRONCO WILD, if that dont work can I borrow your wife.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got 2 ones a elcheapo chain store specail that I ground to fit but dont like using it as I can see it flexing when pressure is applied. The other one is a good one but like others it doesnt fit well without the help of a hammer.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I think the hammer idea is a very bad way to get it off. It would be an easy way to mess up the bearings and seals inside it.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
joe said:
I tried napa and took the one that I got from advanced auto, there exactly the same. but I didnt know they had one that says truck. thanks, Ive tried to jack and hammer but no luck. If my local napa dont got the truck one I think I try the grinding on it method. thank guys for the help and BRONCO WILD, if that dont work can I borrow your wife.

the counter guys werent much help. i had to figure it out myself. no part number on it. i went out to the garage and all it said was taiwan.

OP
OP
joe

joe

Bronco Guru
jbeyer said:
the counter guys werent much help. i had to figure it out myself. no part number on it. i went out to the garage and all it said was taiwan.
thanks, I'll go bug charlie at napa and see if he can help