• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Play in manual steering box. Any way to tighten??

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I was finally able to take my '71 out for a test drive yesterday and found that there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. I do not have power steering yet, but am wondering if there is anything I could do to tighten up the steering until I upgrade? If there is nothing I can do to tighten the steering up, will the play still be there when I upgrade to power steering?? Thanks for your help..

If there is a screw and locknut on top then you could tighten it. Back off the locknut then tighten the screw down, then retighten the locknut. At least that's the way it is on my '66 Mustang. I'm too lazy to go look at my Bronco ;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
That screw doesn't do too much, but it may help a little. You do not want to over tighten it. Just screw it in until you feel any resistance at all, then back it off 1/4 turn and tighten the locknut.
To adjust it properly, you need to put an in/lb torque wrench on the input with the pitman disconnected from the sector shaft.