• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plugging EGR on GT40 EFI intake?

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have a GT40 EFI upper and lower and want to elimiate the EGR system. BBK makes a phenolic spacer that does not have the EGR hole in the middle. Will that plug the EGR effectively? I have Ryan's harness that comes with EGR elimiator circuit and I would like to eliminate the EGR eliminator plate.

Does that EGR passage get hot enough if it is plugged to melt the phenolic spacer? How much heat can those things handle?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I have to do the same thing on my intake. I would tap the hole and put a plug into it. I can only assume that the hot exhaust would melt the spacer and make a nasty mess. I have been contemplating going one step farther and pluggging both the upper and lower intakes, just to be certain that there are no problems.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
On mine I plugged the lower intake. Its the correct size to use an NPT tap (3/8 IIRC) so I just tapped it and used a pipe plug. I've also heard of people using freeze plugs. I see no reason to also plug the upper.

Dusty

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Seriously, Why not just run the EGR? Not to hijack the tread, but what is wrong with running it? Watch your plugs since it'll run a little lean at part throttle cruise if you don't do anything else to it.

If you truly decide not to, then the phenolic spacer would be fine, without any of the other plugs, etc... needed. Another added benefit would be a slight lengthening of the intake runners and it should keep the incoming air slightly cooler as it'll isolate the upper intake as a heat sink.
Joe

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Hey Joe. How is retirement? How much would you want to do the swap for me? I have Ryan's harness and almost all of the parts. The only thing I am waiting on is BC Broncos has developed a cable linkage from my stock accelerator pedal to the throttle body that give the pedal correct feel instead of being really touchy. They have it for the C4 but will have the AOD version in a few weeks.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Retirement is GREAT!! Give me a call, I'm sitting here taking a lunch break anyway.
Joe

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Seriously, Why not just run the EGR? Not to hijack the tread, but what is wrong with running it? Watch your plugs since it'll run a little lean at part throttle cruise if you don't do anything else to it.

If you truly decide not to, then the phenolic spacer would be fine, without any of the other plugs, etc... needed. Another added benefit would be a slight lengthening of the intake runners and it should keep the incoming air slightly cooler as it'll isolate the upper intake as a heat sink.
Joe

I'll second this. I prefer to run EGR. I am looking to put it on my 351 someday.

But the spacer should seal it just fine. The exhaust gas will not be flowing past the phenolic, so it will have a very hard time sending much heat that way. The intake will absorb heat before the spacer sees it.