• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pointers for replacing a transmission

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Hi Guys,

I have a manual "three on the tree" transmission with a bad crack on the transmission housing fluid leaks everywhere so I found a used one that I plan to swap out coming up in the next couple weeks.

Just a note the used transmission still has the dana 20 transfer case attached to it.

I have a couple questions.
-Is it easier to just remove the old transmission and transfer case as a unit and put the new "unit" in, or separate them out and just install the transmission. Mind you my current transfer case is fine.
-Are there any gaskets (motor or transmission) that make sense to replace while the transmission is pulled.
-Any other things you suggest doing while the transmission is pulled.
-Any pointers you can give for the transmission swap

Thanks for any pointers you can send my way.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Make sure you have the right transmission (V8 and I6 do not swap)
Now is a really good time to think about a clutch while the transmission is out. Even if it is good I would still consider a throwout bearing if you know the old one is old.
No gaskets between the engine and the transmission.
I generally pull the transmission and transfer case attached. The transfer case shift linkage can be a bear to get to. If you pull the crossmember and drop it an inch or two there is a lot more hand clearance. Don't drop it too much or you can put the fan into the radiator.
Transmission jacks are your friend.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I vote to seperate them. They each weigh around 100 pounds so together, it gets heavy quick but seperated, they are manageable.