• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Polishing Cleaning up Chrome

68Broncoz

Contributor
Just got my Bronco back from
paint and ready to put it back together.

What have you used to clean/polish the chrome?

Dash Bezels?
Window Chrome?
Taillight chrome surround?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never tried it on the small stuff like the bezels, but I've used an old-school can of Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on bumpers and trim (when it was chromed steel) with actually very good results.
Never something that was really deeply pitted, but for some more pitted stuff I used Evap-o-Rust and thought it made a nice difference in the size of the pits. Not a chrome treatment, but disolves some of the underlying rust, making the pits less notable. Some chrome polish on top of that might make a big difference.
Not like a new part of course, but I'm a fan of re-using the old original stuff even if it's bad enough to justify new.

Good luck.
How bad are yours?

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I used a small polishing wheel with some compound on mine and was really surprised how they cleaned up.

Attachments

• bezel 1.jpg
    bezel 1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 56
  • bezel 2.jpg
    bezel 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 58
  • dash assm 1.jpg
    dash assm 1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 52

boonz28

Never dull. Cotton-like stuff that comes in a silver can. You can usually find it at auto parts stores. Works well and the can lasts forever but requires some elbow grease.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
I've had good luck with Blue Magic for stainless, aluminum and chrome. Access to a polishing wheel or small buffer as shown above will save some elbow grease.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Old fashioned 0000 steel wool cleans and polishes nicely. Then just a bit of wax for protection

Juiceman

Contributor
I've had good luck with Blue Magic for stainless, aluminum and chrome. Access to a polishing wheel or small buffer as shown above will save some elbow grease.

I used Blue Magic from the wheels thread recommendation and the results were great. I used a cone buffer on my cordless drill. I think i will try them on my mirrors and see how it does (they can't get any worse).