• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Poll: Floor or Column Shift for Auto Tranny???

Floor or Column Shift for Auto Tranny

• Column

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Floor

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
What do you guys like running better. I have an AOD and I am not sure if it is worth it to keep messing with my column shift linkage or just throw a Lokar floor shift in when I swap out my engine this month.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The Lokar floor shifter is nice, but I like the Art Carr even better. You're less likely to bump it out of gear. I wouldn't hesitate to put another Lokar in a hot rod, if I get to build up another (I helped my brother do a 70 Nova, and we put one in his) They do work well, but a slight bump and you're in neutral. The Art Carr shifters are being recieved with rave reviews in the rock crawling world for being smooth and reliable.

I may one day put one in my rig, but for now, the column shifter is doing me good. I'm still running a C4.

It all boils down to personal preference. Do what makes you happiest, and you'll never be wrong.;)

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I am planning on putting the 4R70W in mine, and I am hoping to use the column shifter. I would like to run a bench up front, since I have my 6th on the way, I can use all the seating I can get. Otherwise, I think the floor shifters can be easier... If I had my druthers, I would run an electric shift tansfercase too, but they are too wide for our frame rails...

DD

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
From what I understand the Lokar shifters are difficult to get installed and adjusted right and don't have a shift indicator on them. I used a B&M Truck Megashifter in mine that was easy to install, has a shift indicator, and works quite well.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would go with a floor shift but you should go with what you like good luck.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: :p

Projp

I've went from column,
Pro: Out of the way
Con: Sloppy

to Quicksilver ratchet,
Pro: Can't beat for street only
Con: Takes some getting used to, takes up floor space

to Art Carr.
Pro: The best out there for crawling
Con: Price, sometimes the gates are not where you want them, floor space.

They all have some interesting strengths and limitations, figure out what is most important to you and then pick accordingly.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
mkaenel and i put a lokar floor mount shifter in his last week. it wasn't that bad (once i got the linkage arm pointing the right way), and it shifted nicely. there is no indicator, but there is a lighted one available that either goes in the boot retainer or remote mount.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
The Lokar is definitely more attractive. I actually like that it doesn't have gates because most of my current column shift issues are dealing with the gates not matching between the tranny and the column.