• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible New Bronco Owner

k&M

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
Hey there, looks like a forum with some good information, and one I may start to use here quite often. I have been looking at the early broncos for some time now, and think I have my hands on a 66 with a 289 and 3 on the tree for about 2500.

Much of the body work has been done, couple of the floor panels have been replaced, driver side has a few pin holes. Starts, runs, and drives pretty well. It does not inlcude a top, comes with the twin shifter transfer case, and has new rear and front fender flares that were put on after the body work.

Seems like a good buy to me, anything in general I should be carefull of? I am a pretty well rounded bodyman as I grew up in a body shop, and can find my way around the engine bay with to many problems.

I have rebuilt a 67 mustang, and we are looking to do this one for my wife.

Thanks for any information, help, tips, etc

Mitch

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the forum. No tips or tricks here. Sounds like you already have a severe case of Bronco disease.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site.

Any running drivable Bronco is worth $2500, sounds like you found a good deal. Be sure to post pictures during your restoration and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of good people here and a ton of great information.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Sounds like a deal. If you're a body man, then the hard part/expensive part and what to look for is already taken care if it needs further work. Welcome!

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Welcome aboard and congrats on the Bronco. Sounds like a great deal. You're lucky, as there are a lot of Bronco folks there close to you.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
xx5 on welcome and sounds like pretty good deal to me also;)

OP
OP
K

k&M

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
There is also a 70 bronco on Craigslsit here for $3400, with a top, and a 302. I am assuming much like the mustang that if there is current a v8, I should be able to swap any small block without too many hassles? I am not sure which I will bite on yet, as the 70 does have a top and a better motor, but none the less much more body work. This is also my first time diving into 4wd transmissions. Anything I should keep an eye on when it comes to those?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You're correct, any small block even the 351w will bolt in for the most part.

The transfer case on the Early Bronco is very simple and with a little maintenance it will last forever.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Generally, in that price range you'll find something with a good body but needs mechanical, or something that is mechanically solid but needs body work. Unless you pay for one that has already had the work done. Pick what kind of work you want to do (first). Inevitably, you'll become obsessed and want to fix everything and will probably rebuild the whole thing. We all have a psychosis when it comes to broncos.

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you get!

Oh, and you can vote for this site at the bottom of the page!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard..!! We can never have too many fanatics on here w/us. Good luck w/your choice. I suggest patience, and let the right one come to you. :D

Oh, and you can vote for this site at the bottom of the page!

Good man... ;)

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Welcome to the best forum on the planet. Do you know about the different body styles of the Bronco? U13 Roadster, U14 Pickup and U15 Wagon. Check the VIN number on that 66 before you decide to pass on it. If it starts with U13, it's a very rare roadster model. You just never know where one will show up. Good luck to you in your search and make sure to post pictures of what your looking at or purchased. We love to see other Broncos and don't forget to vote (at the bottom of the page) for your favorite forum.;D

patterdale

Bronco Guru
We welcome fellow addicts here and are eager/gracious enablers to this addiction. Sounds like you need to pick the lesser of two evils and run with it. Heck it sounds like you could handle either one so get em both cause after you get the missus set up you'll get all jealous and want your own too. We also welcome any resurection of these great old vehicles instead of seeing them go to the scrap yard.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
The Vin # is a a very good point! Having said that, if it was an original U13 Roadster that would be hard to pass up. I think that the Body would be the most important thing to look at closely! It can all be fixed but why fix it if you don't have to? Colorado has some very solid trucks out there so get a good flashlight and look under the truck at the door posts front and rear, back in the quarter panels, etc......

As for the 66, I am probably wrong but I didn't think that the V8 was an option the first year so that might be worth considering if it isn't a U13!

Good Luck either way and can't wait to see what you get. ;D

Seattle66

Contributor
Welcome aboard from a newbie. I picked up a 1966 U13 about two weeks ago. There is a great reference website for the U13. There is also a cool excel tool you download from the site to decode the Vin number.

http://www.roadsteru13.com/

Good Luck!

OP
OP
K

k&M

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
Going to pick up the 66 in late January or Feburary as soon as I have the time to get up to Wyoming. It is a stock 302, U15, but runs pretty well, has some bigger wheels and tires on it already, and has seems to be pretty clean. Rust in your usual spaces, but nothing I can not take care of. As soon as I get back up there I will post some photos of the new bundle of work, and I am sure will have plenty of questions.

Thanks