• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible OLD GUYS RULE - Bronco tee shirt?

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Don't know how many may know about OLD GUYS RULE, (OGR) but they create some pretty neat tee-shirts. I was perusing their stuff last night and it is obviously missing an early Bronco. Got a nice low-boy, so why not? If you look at their home page you can sort it by interest (automotive).

I emailed him last night and he said he would take it into consideration. My guess is that if he were flooded by requests he would probably do it. The Kohl's tee is long gone and we need a replacement.

Go to OGR's home page. Look to the right of the banner and find "contact us". ...or if my link works.... send him a request. Couldn't hurt.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
OBR (Old Broncos Rule) would probably consider any cool ideas that Bronco folks wanted as well. ;)

We are trying to clear out some old designs to make room for some new.

www.oldbroncosrule.com

Broncitis

MEB Founder
We have a couple new ideas and would consider some more.

The reprints of even the most popular designs generally just do not sell enough volume in our niche market once many folks have them.

We just sold the last couple Major League shirts on the clearance table at the Super Celebration in April.

It's always tough, because of the niche market, we end up with some less popular sizes, but it is not cost effective to run a new batch when you sell out of a couple sizes.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Then why not just load up on the sizes that you do sell and don't bother with sizes that sit around forever?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
End Hijack.

Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
It is always a guessing game on sizes and quantities. We can not just sell XLs (most popular).

OP
OP
j.r.nice

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Really? Is this what you'd call a hijack?

I like tees that don't pimp someone's business. Just celebrate the vehicle and not advertise. There are a lot of people who like Broncos that don't own one and don't need any other logo.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Really? Is this what you'd call a hijack?

I like tees that don't pimp someone's business. Just celebrate the vehicle and not advertise. There are a lot of people who like Broncos that don't own one and don't need any other logo.

I guess, if you take it that way since it is your thread, but it was not intended that way.

However, Old Guys Rule (just like Life's Good) is a business, and each shirt has their trade marked name on it. Just like OBR. T-shirts (and a couple hats and decals) is all OBR does, just like those other two, so I am not sure what other business pimping you are referring to?

I just figured if you had a good idea, there is a lot better shot at getting OBR to make one than OGR and answered some questions that resulted from my reply.

I also thought that perhaps some might rather support a few Bronco guys like the 3 of us in OBR (or others like Adam/Graphico, Shawn or Thom who also make Bronco shirts) who are actually active in the Bronco community and who have donated lots of stuff to events over the year's. Versus some large companies like Kohl's, JC Penny, Old Navy, Old Guys Rule and Life's Good who likely have little to no ties to the Bronco community, have never given anything back, and in most cases likely have most if not all of their product made overseas. (I know, Nick's Trix built and EB for the Life's Good founder, but I've never heard of him showing up at events or donating product).

Trust me, none of us are getting rich in the Bronco only t-shirt market and unfortunately, there is no way even if the three of us in OBR pooled our profits that we could put a down payment to get Nick started on a rig for us! :(

Sorry I offered to invest our own money to bring any potential cool idea to market.

Fact is, two of us have rolled over 100% of the little profit we get into new products and have never taken a dime back out yet. We mainly have done it just to get some cool shirts.

So, if your real goal is to have a mass marketed shirt available in beach t-shirt shops and/or big box stores around the country for anyone who might think the Bronco looks cool as they pass by, then OBR is not your guys for sure. We cater and market directly to active enthusiasts who participate in forums and groups like this, or attend Bronco events that we do as well.

Sort of like the clothing brand FUBU (for us, by us), OBR is FBEBBE (for Bronco enthusiasts, by Bronco enthusiasts), but it was not quite a catchy, so we stuck with just OBR. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
j.r.nice

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I guess if you take it that way since it is your thread.

However, Old Guys Rule (just like Life's Good) is a business, and each shirt has their trade marked name on it. Just like OBR. T-shirts (and a couple hats and decals) is all OBR does, just like those other two, so I am not sure what other business pimping you are referring to?

I just figured if you had a good idea, there is a lot better shot at getting OBR to make one than OGR and answered some questions that resulted from my reply.

I also thought that perhaps some might rather support a few Bronco guys like the 3 of us in OBR (or others like Adam/Graphico, Shawn or Thom who also make Bronco shirts) who are actually active in the Bronco community and who have donated lots of stuff to events over the year's. Versus some large companies like Kohl's, JC Penny, Old Navy, Old Guys Rule and Life's Good who likely have little to no ties to the Bronco community, have never given anything back, and in most cases likely have most if not all of their product made overseas. (I know, Nick's Trix built and EB for the Life's Good founder, but I've never heard of him showing up at events or donating product).

Trust me, none of us are getting rich in the Bronco only t-shirt market and unfortunately, there is no way even if the three of us in OBR pooled our profits that we could put a down payment to get Nick started on a rig for us! :(

Sorry I offered to invest our own money to bring any potential cool idea to market.

Fact is, two of us have rolled over any profit into new products and have never taken a dime back out yet. We mainly have done it just to get some cool shirts.

No, OGR shirts have their "logo" on it, which is nothing more than a generic phrase /catch phrase. To a casual observer, it is no more than a statement about old guys....and a casual lifestyle. There is no "copyright" or "registrered" symbol to indicate it is their business name, nor does it direct you to one. No different than it reading "I Like Girls" or "Fish On" and a related theme.

Newport Blue....same deal, and their Bronco tee from the past is very cool and aside from the Ford oval is pretty generic. The Bronco tees Kohls offered disappeared pretty quickly too.

When I posted this, it wasn't intended to detract from, or compete with, your offerings. I just posted it. I had no idea about yours. I just thought it would be cool to have one on an OGR tee, like I wear often. I like variety. It wasn't intended to be a turf war. I couldn't care less. Apparently you do. When I started this thread, I was trying to innocently promote interest for a different/new tee, and it looks like you felt the need to promote yours. I'm guessing that you could have made the same offer in a thread you start.

As far as your donations and contributions to the Bronco community, great. I don't usually attend gatherings where I would know this. Sometimes it's not always about that, sometimes it's just about who's tee-shirt one likes.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
No, OGR shirts have their "logo" on it, which is nothing more than a generic phrase /catch phrase. To a casual observer, it is no more than a statement about old guys....and a casual lifestyle. There is no "copyright" or "registrered" symbol to indicate it is their business name, nor does it direct you to one. No different than it reading "I Like Girls" or "Fish On" and a related theme.

Newport Blue....same deal, and their Bronco tee from the past is very cool and aside from the Ford oval is pretty generic. The Bronco tees Kohls offered disappeared pretty quickly too.

When I posted this, it wasn't intended to detract from, or compete with, your offerings. I just posted it. I had no idea about yours. I just thought it would be cool to have one on an OGR tee, like I wear often. I like variety. It wasn't intended to be a turf war. I couldn't care less. Apparently you do. When I started this thread, I was trying to innocently promote interest for a different/new tee, and it looks like you felt the need to promote yours. I'm guessing that you could have made the same offer in a thread you start.

As far as your donations and contributions to the Bronco community, great. I don't usually attend gatherings where I would know this. Sometimes it's not always about that, sometimes it's just about who's tee-shirt one likes.

That phrase is certainly their logo and trademark. Try making a national line of shirts that says "Old Guys Rule" or "Life is Good" or any other brand you just mentioned. I guarantee you will have a lawyer explain intellectual property law to you very quickly. At the very least, you will get a cease and desist order. ;)

There is no turf war, they sell $millions annually, we sell $hundreds and perhaps a few $thousand on a year we decide do more with it. It is a damn good thing none of us I mentioned on here do Bronco shirts as our main income, or we could not even afford to drive some beat ass old Grand Cherokees. :)

I simply thought if you or someone had a good design, there was a lot better shot at getting someone like OBR or the other Bronco guys on this forum I mentioned to run 150-250 of them versus these other guys who likely run 10,000-20,000+ for national distribution and a more mass appeal than what any of us would do.

Yes, I could have (and have asked in years past) in my own thread, but silly me, I thought you might just want a good chance at getting a cool shirt made of your design or someone else's on here. However, it looks like you really just want one that says Old Guys Rule and has a pic of a Bronco, so you will have to see if you can convince them I guess.

I've met you in person at least once at Carlisle, many years ago. But we have also done giveaways on here around Christmas in past years, made special fund raising shirts to support Bronco racers in our community and in other ways.

Many on here are active on here and/or get out to events and they do like to support vendors who give back to the community (be it Bronco specific Parts vendors, winch companies or small soft goods stuff like shirts and decals). Obviously, it is not important to some as well, and that is fine too.

Some would also rather buy a $15-20 shirt, versus a $25-40 one just because it has a trendy name widely known outside the Bronco community.

No problem, consider my offer to potentially make a design of your choice withdrawn. Sorry for mucking up your thread with something I thought was relevant.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought Broncitis was offering help.

edit: Yes, it did get side tracked. Nobody does it on purpose.
Eugene

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Drew - Broncitis made some of my favorite shirts. Good quality, unique designs, and reasonable prices. I too thought it was an offer to help. I would always prefer to buy from a member than a corporation or ebay seller. Love the stuff from Alpha Bronco too.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Adam/Graphico is Alpha Bronco (I think), could not remember his Bronco line name or the name Shawn sells under (he makes the Bronco Addiction and a few other shirts).

No big deal. I offered, and it was not what the OP was looking for apparently, so he can work on convincing the one he really wants to make them to do so.

It's all good. I have enough other irons in the fire and some 50th ideas we've been working on for OBR and MEB to keep me plenty busy with extra stuff in my free time.

I'm out.....

OP
OP
j.r.nice

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
That phrase is certainly their logo and trademark. Try making a national line of shirts that says "Old Guys Rule" or "Life is Good" or any other brand you just mentioned. I guarantee you will have a lawyer explain intellectual property law to you very quickly. At the very least, you will get a cease and desist order. ;)

There is no turf war, they sell $millions annually, we sell $hundreds and perhaps a few $thousand on a year we decide do more with it. It is a damn good thing none of us I mentioned on here do Bronco shirts as our main income, or we could not even afford to drive some beat ass old Grand Cherokees. :)

I simply thought if you or someone had a good design, there was a lot better shot at getting someone like OBR or the other Bronco guys on this forum I mentioned to run 150-250 of them versus these other guys who likely run 10,000-20,000+ for national distribution and a more mass appeal than what any of us would do.

Yes, I could have (and have asked in years past) in my own thread, but silly me, I thought you might just want a good chance at getting a cool shirt made of your design or someone else's on here. However, it looks like you really just want one that says Old Guys Rule and has a pic of a Bronco, so you will have to see if you can convince them I guess.

I've met you in person at least once at Carlisle, many years ago. But we have also done giveaways on here around Christmas in past years, made special fund raising shirts to support Bronco racers in our community and in other ways.

Many on here are active on here and/or get out to events and they do like to support vendors who give back to the community (be it Bronco specific Parts vendors, winch companies or small soft goods stuff like shirts and decals). Obviously, it is not important to some as well, and that is fine too.

Some would also rather buy a $15-20 shirt, versus a $25-40 one just because it has a trendy name widely known outside the Bronco community.

No problem, consider my offer to potentially make a design of your choice withdrawn. Sorry for mucking up your thread with something I thought was relevant.

First, you missed the point, their logo "Old Guys Rule" that appears on their shirts does not have .com or any other markings (copyright or registered in the circle) that would lead the casual observer to think it's anything other than a catchy slogan or lifestyle. No, another can't legally copy it. Their logo with the registered marking is on the tag inside.

Yours have your logo and website on it. That's fine if that's what your market wants. There are times when I wear tees that promote a business or product. But I also like tees that feature something I enjoy without trying to sell something. I have my favorite brands, like Newport Blue, that do that. They feature cars and trucks I like in casual scenes. Looking at your site, currently, most of yours are trail rigs in action....with your logo on the front. Again, great, if that's what your buyers want. The other guys have a different market that, generally, aren't into that. Simply, they appeal to one market, you appeal to a different one. Doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive.

I don't buy tees based on trendy or pricey. I buy because I like them. If it's what I want, I'm just as happy to pay $15 or $35. But I don't care if it's $6, if it's not what I want, I don't buy it. I have no loyalty, but I do buy one particular brand more often because they appeal to me.

As an aside, since you've mentioned it several times, you can donate every penny you make to the Bronco community, but you just shouldn't expect it to buy you anything. That's just business.

Finally, the "turf war" I referred to isn't about you vs them (OGR, Newport Blue Old Navy etc). It's more about your reaction to my (innocently) posting something tee-shirt related from someone else. Look back at the thread and it's course. Look at your first post. It quickly went from offering to consider a design to selling your own product and making it about you/yours. If you want to be the official apparel provider for Classic Bronco, maybe have them make it a sticky. Maybe you are and I missed it. If so, I apologize

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I'm not even bothering reading the usual multiple paragraphs of enlightenment put forth here. Long and short great original post, I'm going to e-mail OGR (already have a few of their shirts) and while Drew is totally horning in on your post (cause he never does that), he does have some cool stuff which I also own.

PS to Drew - you can't sell what you don't have. I've enquired about a couple things over the past two years - don't have it..... Some long sleeve button down shirts would be cool...hint, hint.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I'm not even bothering reading the usual multiple paragraphs of enlightenment put forth here. Long and short great original post, I'm going to e-mail OGR (already have a few of their shirts) and while Drew is totally horning in on your post (cause he never does that), he does have some cool stuff which I also own.

PS to Drew - you can't sell what you don't have. I've enquired about a couple things over the past two years - don't have it..... Some long sleeve button down shirts would be cool...hint, hint.

You should, you might learn something about the overrated Bronco t shirt business. ;)

As you are well aware, and as I've said before, briefness is often not my strong suit. If you can only comprehend 140 characters at a time, perhaps you could start a Bronco Twitter group. I'm out on that for sure! ;D

No, I never intended to "horn in". I made an offer to possibly bring his idea to market (with our money and to sell it through our established site), then I got asked a couple direct questions by others. I guess I should have just ignored them completely?

So, if that is the definition of horning in, I wish more would do it to me. I'd often love to have someone else fund some of my other ideas and handle the inventory and order fulfillment of them for me!

And you (Ted) just posed questions more subtlety when you commented and then asked by a suggestion of something not practical, but perhaps I should just ignore that so I do not use any more bandwidth in this thread to actually answer your request or comment? Nice try! Yes, my Vendor/Sponsor status helps Jon pay for some of that bandwih on here, so I will cash in on a bit of that here. ;D

If JR wants to pursue something with OGR, have at it. It became clear that was the only option he was actually interested in, which is why I retracted my previous offer. I first thought he just had an idea and wanted to get it to market, so I offered. I never made a stipulation on design criteria or that there had to be an OBR logo or .com, he assumed all of that. The only criteria I'd have is that there was an apparent demand for it among the group to make it worth investing in, pretty simple really.

I'm still not sure about this faux turf war JR has repeatedly alluded to. We all know there are several of us on here who are Sponsors/Vendors (and a few who probably are not) who have repeatedly brought some cool shirts to market for the group over the past 10+ years. We also know there have been many other shirts made by large companies as well. For the handful of us in the community that has made them, it is a side gig at best from what I have seen. Mostly just because we like to make something cool that other Bronco folks will also enjoy.

Personally, I'm more of the thought to promote the Bronco we all like versus myself by the thought that we are cool simply because we are getting older, balder and fatter, but hey, that's just me. When people know you are a Bronco guy, they will know you are cool by proxy regardless of your age of gender. :)

Ted is correct, we are often out of items. Welcome to the catch 22 of a limited run, niche market. We do our best to guess on sizes, but always end up with too many of some and run out of others, and it does not always follow the same trend as the last design. We usually can not justify the setup and minimum run quantity just to restock the couple sizes that are out. Most designs only have 144-200 shirts per run spread over 4-7 sizes, so you can not just set up to run one or two sizes that are out for 10-20 shirts. Not with actual quality screen printed shirts. Direct to garment is another process that has its own challenges.

We decided earlier this year to clear out what we have, then do only one or two designs at a time, until they are all gone, then replace with another. Trying to manage 60+ SKUs of 6-7 designs and a range of sizes for a small market is for the birds! I'm sure Ted saw Nick at the Super Celebration surrounded by 12-15 totes of product, yet many sizes were out.

Sorry Ted, but long sleeve button downs you want will likely not happen as they are rarely, if ever requested. The OBR line of shirts has been exclusively screen printed items so far. We could never justify a run of the size needed to pay for the screen costs of a specialized shirt like that, and still sell it is a reasonable price. Not to mention that screen printed and button down generally do not go together (unless perhaps a short sleeve, mechanics style Red Kap / Dickies garage type work shirt like we have done twice now).

An embroidered MEB shirt, sure. Nick has has done those in polo, Henley and long sleeve button versions and has the digitized embroidery file. We could also do the OBR logo that is on our hats onto a shirt for you if that is what you want. Nick does the embroidery for both OBR and MEB in house and therefore can even do those as a one off custom order since that does not require a batch process like screen printing to be cost effective.

See, when I get asked things, it takes a thought out response to actually answer them. So, if in the future that is too much, feel free to use the skim technique you used previously and just leave out the comments or suggestions directed towards me.

So there you have it, the "how sausage is made" of the niche Bronco shirt world for Ted, and Good luck with your pursuit to JR.

If anyone has any other related questions, requests, ideas or comments for me, please send me a PM. I am unsubscribing from this one since I have already spent too much time here in JRs thread.

Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
i be learning all kinds of new words 'Bloviate" ' horning in "
See, at least it is an educational thread if nothing else.

Obviously you do not watch Bill O'Reilly. It seems he uses the word "bloviate" almost daily. Of course, that is on after your bedtime!

"Horning in" was new to me as well, but descriptive enough and coupled with Ted's other commentary that I think I got the inaccurate point he tried to make by it.