• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powdercoating Cost?

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Hello all,

Called around and went to see a local powder coater today, and wanted to get some opinions.

He will blast, clean and PC my stock steel wheels for $70 a piece. They're in pretty bad shape.

A simple 4 point roll bar for $100.

My front and rear bumper and the OEM tire carrier pieces and some small other misc bits and parts for another $100.

Do these prices seem fair? What is the wisdom on PCing the steel wheels? They need to be blasted anyway, so I figure blasting and painting wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper, but $280 is a lot to spend!

Thanks!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I paid $50.00 bucks a piece for powder coating factory steel wheels over twenty years ago. I would say $70.00 a piece coincides with inflation.
They looked better than I think paint could ever look. I guess they were alot tougher than paint would have been too.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I pd $40 with two coats each. The clearcoat was overkill and might have hindered the balancing. But I also had 5 rims done so more may give you a better deal.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Craw - did you have to balance with sticky weights on the inside? Any problems sorting that out? I've only got 30" tires, so should be easier than your 33s.

BTW, I was in ATL for the last 12 years, to PA in 2010. Everything is a lot more expensive up here!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
It was the way they dried/ cured them. The clear coat left drips that eventually drided up on backside. I had to grind them down to fit "flush" against hub/ drum. Looks great but I wouldn't do it over again.
Yes, I do have the sticky weights. One had 1/2 oz and another had 4 oz so they balancing was all over the place. One tire wouldnt even balance according to them. So its the spare.
Yep, ur right with the pricing demographics! Like you I had several items powdercoated so I think they were giving me some small discounts here and there. Had my sparetire carrier parts and front bumper done, love it!

stokes.greg

I picked up my rear bumper with a tire carrier today. Cleaned and powder coated for $165. I thought it was a little high but it's the only shop for 50 miles.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Make sure that whoever does the PC knows what they are doing. Otherwise you are wont get the durability that PC is known for and it will chip pretty easily. Good luck either way! ;D

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Seems reasonable. I do powder coating for all my stuff. Keep in mind you're also paying the materials and labor for steel shot blasting to strip the metal for powder prep. Often times that's more work than actually spraying it down with powder and turning on the oven...

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. Might have him do the spare wheel first just to make sure he does a nice job. He comes highly recommended by all the Harley guys around here, of which there are quite a few, and they have high dollar stuff with high quality level expectations.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I had my Bailie Bilt family cage (silver vein with a clear coat) and the BC 1/4 guards along with tree huggers (glossy black) powde coated. The silver vein went on with two coats and the clear was a third. The black was a single coat. All pieces were blasted and completed for the price of FREE!!! It's nice to have the owner of a PC company work for you..

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
He comes highly recommended by all the Harley guys around here, of which there are quite a few, and they have high dollar stuff with high quality level expectations.

Your basing your decision on people who ride hardlyableson's? :p

J/K

Harley - Davidson
converting gasoline into noise, without the side effects of horsepower

Ha just kidding.
As long as your on two and having fun I'll ride with you any day. Unless I'm in my bronco.

Dlish

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. Might have him do the spare wheel first just to make sure he does a nice job. He comes highly recommended by all the Harley guys around here, of which there are quite a few, and they have high dollar stuff with high quality level expectations.

I know central Pa is a little different then 75 miles east where I am, but around here there are way too many harley guys with no sense and too much money that will pay any price for powder coating, paint, accessories, etc.

Did you get any other quotes?

If you go with this guy, let us know how it turns out.

ccbronco

I paid $99 per wheel in CA a year and a half ago. I will be doing my roll bar soon I hope. I think that is a fair deal. But then again I am in CA. Environmentalists make everything more expensive.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I'm no PC expert, but I saw some of the stuff he was working on and was very impressed. I sent him the info to order the OEM match for Wimbledon White today, so once we have a timeline on that I'll be sending it in.

I got a good feeling from him, so we'll give it a go!

Bigbird

Harley - Davidson
converting gasoline into noise, without the side effects of horsepower

.[/QUOTE]

Not funny!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Eastwood sells the equipment cheap and then your just need to search CL for an electric stove. PC'ing is easy - I'm planing on coating my entire front accessories with it.