• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powdercoating Question

ruckin69

Contributor
Ive had these bumpers for about six months and they have areas of surface rust developing.The light spots are rusting. Is this normal or is it not. Thanks out.
20140520_091923_zpsmv58cbz7.jpg
20140520_091954_zpsaz6obmor.jpg
20140520_091912_zpsbuermoxw.jpg

Last edited:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Looks to me not properly sandblasted, may not removed all potential contaminants such as grime. I would take it back and ask if they can fix the issue. Looks to be applied a lil thin too if you can see the grinder etching. Usually that stuff is put on thick, but not too thick where it runs.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with Crawdad, poor overall metal prep exacerbated by insufficient paint during application.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
As an option, take them to another reputable sandblaster/ powder coater in your area. Gate companies are a good source to find powder coaters. That's how I found mine. A plain bronco bumper shouldn't really cost more than $50 to have redone.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
well this is from Logans and I've already had a issue wth them. I'm in New Jersey and they are in Pittsburgh. I posted my dissatisfaction with them on another thread and now I'm still dealing with this nonsense.

wesleydax

not normal by any means. blasting could have been fine but there are areas that do not take powder as well as others, this is know as faraday area. dont let them convince you to just powder over it. the rust needs to be removed. i coat and blast for a living and while we try hard to keep this from happening sometimes it does.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Man that sux bc I like Logan's designs too! I would say have it sandblasted and you paint it (your labor), but it may cost you the same to have it sandblasted and powder coated (their labor).

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Looks to me like the gun was too close. If you get too close it will actually create a scattered pinhole pattern where the powder does not take because it is arching to the part and completing the circuit, it then rust like that, because the powder is displaced everywhere the unstable arc jumps.

With improper blasting if the powder is actually applied right, the part will continue to rust under the powder until it breaks the bond and then you will see it flake off in big chunks (kind of how it does on those cheap fold-able chair legs).

It also looks like it my be applied to thin and that texture may be a base coat and require a sealer coat, which may not have been applied.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
well to their credit they have admitted they have had some issues with this and so now I am taking pictures and sending them. this have not been easy experience though. I had issues since the day I ordered.