• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering box rebuild 4x4x2 recomendations

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
I've got 4x4x2 steering box (ported for ram assist) that I got from Wild Horses 10 years ago. I think it needs rebuilding as my steering is still sloppy after replacing all other bushings and joints. What company do you recommend to rebuild my box? Redhead and West Texas offroad are the popular ones, but are expensive and shipping is more as I live in California. Howe can do it, but specialize in saginaw boxes. I've got some PSC products, but my buddy broke their sector shaft they didn't stand behind. There is a local place in San Jose called Straight Line Steering that could do it, but don't specialize in this. So, what do you recomend?
Thanks,
Kyle

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I’ve had PSC work on a few boxes over the years and I’ve always been happy with their work. I had them port and rebuild my 4x4x2 box a couple years ago and they did a great job. I’ve dealt with Red Head a few times and they do great work as well.

Thumper63

Contributor
straight Line was recommended to me by a very reputable Member on here 904.. I would give them a shot at it.. they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
kman67

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
Yeah, Doug recommended Straighline to me as well. I’ll call them on Monday. Looking at Lee’s website it looks like they really take their time inspecting the parts and matching the correct size ball bearings with the amount of wear on the shafts. That would save on shipping. Thanks and keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Lee rebuilt and ported my Explorer set up hydro boost unit, I recently purchased their high pressure / flow steering pump and reservoir kit. Been pleased with service and work in past, but it seems they maybe sending out some of their work to Steeles. I spoke with Steeles and they were up front on costs, seemed reputable. I used Blue Top steering years ago for steering box rebuild of F100 long box, nice work, but that was 4 years ago before shipping went atmospheric.

ransil

Bronco Guru
use pirate ship to ship stuff its a heck of a savings, include a return label also so whoever you use does not charge full rate.

West Texas IMO just reseals them, does not check spec's.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Lee rebuilt and ported my Explorer set up hydro boost unit, I recently purchased their high pressure / flow steering pump and reservoir kit. Been pleased with service and work in past, but it seems they maybe sending out some of their work to Steeles. I spoke with Steeles and they were up front on costs, seemed reputable. I used Blue Top steering years ago for steering box rebuild of F100 long box, nice work, but that was 4 years ago before shipping went atmospheric.
Who/what is Steeles?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
kman67

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
I talked to Staightline today and they can rebuild it for $455, but have never done a 4x4x2 box and don’t magnaflux test the parts. They are local ands it would take about 4 days. Lee’s has done 4x4x2 boxes and does magnaflux test. They want $575 and I have to ship it about 300 miles. They would take about 3 weeks because of backlog, which is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Either shop offer a warranty on their work? If no I would go with lees for their experience with em. If you post it up you might you might find someone on here to deliver it on the cheap. Pretty common drive up and down the 5.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I sent out a 4x4x2 box to AGR. Turnaround time was decent, bearing and port mods done. Haven't installed yet. Hopefully I can do it early next year