• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering box rebuild sector shaft problems

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Have new bearings (2)for the sector shaft. Out of the case they slide quite easily over the sector shaft. After I install the top one closest to where the gears make contact in the housing I can't get the sector shaft to go all the way in. The farther in I push it the tighter it is in the bearing. It's like something in the housing is crimping down on the bearing and squishing it to a smaller diameter. I can't see anything in the housing and where the bearing seats is too far in to feel with my fingers. Any ideas, advice. Any way to hone the housing at home? Thanks, David

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
How did you install the bearings with a press or hammer and driver. I prefer a press myself, if you used a hammer you could have done some damage to the bearing. You also may not have seated them squarely and it could be possible one is off a bit, you wouldn't think that with a pressed bearing but it happens.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
2 thoughts.

1) There is a specific side of the BH2020 bearing that can pressed on and a side that can't be pressed. The rounded side goes first into the bore and you press on the flat side. Do it backwards and you destroy the bearing.

2) Bent sector shafts will go into 1 installed bearing fairly easily. Getting it into the 2nd installed bearing is almost impossible.